Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking in the future which set up is trebly better and why and hopefully from direct experience:

1967 fastback

1. Bilstein font coil over (or similar)

Vs

2. Shelby drop 1 inch lowering springs, bilstein shocks, and with upgraded uppers Lower(no rubber bushings) and struts rods with no rubber bushings.

So my last 67fb I had option 2. I thought it was a pretty nice ride. Of course everyone says coil overs are the best and a much better street ride. But is it really that much noticeable and worth the extra 1200$ ish?

Anyone have direct experience with the above?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Everyone has been wrong at least once so don't believe everything they say.
What is a coil-over if not a spring over the shock with an adjustable rate and height?

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
A year ago was running just the Arning drop with lowering springs and poly SD spring perches. This past winter I installed the SoT Bilstein coil over system. I consider it a good investment since I dabble in auto cross and it made an incredible difference in the car at events. Even on a street only car I think you would notice better ride quality.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nailbender,

So obviously you have direct experience which is awesome and I appreciate your comment. With the coil over what is the main difference while driving.

Example: at highway speeds 70mph does we it feel more planted and stable?

Also Did you have any oversteer or bump steer issues?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
If you're talking coil over mounted on the lower control arm, I personally felt a night and day difference when I went from the stock suspension with 1" lowering GT springs and arning drop to the Street or Track suspension. The simplest way to describe the lower control arm coil over is that the ride feels more like a modern car. I know that's vague and it'll never be a modern car but all of the harshness over uneven road surfaces virtually disappeared. It was immediately noticeable on the first drive with eyeballed alignment and was even better after a proper alignment.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Nailbender,

So obviously you have direct experience which is awesome and I appreciate your comment. With the coil over what is the main difference while driving.

Example: at highway speeds 70mph does we it feel more planted and stable?

Also Did you have any oversteer or bump steer issues?
The coilover setup did eliminate an anal pucker moment from one of my favorite back roads and I have no bump steer that I know of.

You certainly don't have to go full gonzo to have a nice handling Mustang. I wanted to give the rice burners a run for their money at autocross events. More experienced drivers are able to do that while driving my car while I'm slowly catching on.

If your starting from total worn out stock I don't see how the coil overs are going to be that much more $'s wise when all is said and done.

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
For track competition, I can understand wanting to go with a coilover suspension. FWIW, my '70 Mustang has:

- Arning drop
- Scott Drake street performance coil springs
- Roller Spring perches
- Bilstein shocks
- 1-1/8" front anti-sway bar
- Factory rear anti-sway bar
- Export brace.
- (I have a Monte Carlo bar, but it won't fit with the factory shaker.)

I've had the car up to 100 MPH and it tracks straight as the string. The front end does not float or drift. Bumps in the road get soaked up nicely. (My car is a Mach 1 and it has a factory style front spoiler. Not sure if that actually does anything.)

Just today I went on a cruise with my Mustang club. I was following a brand new 2019 Bullitt edition Mustang with "magna-ride" suspension. We were moving pretty good on a windy, mountain road. When we stopped, the Bullitt owner expressed how surprised he was that my "old Mustang" was able to keep up with his new Mustang so well. He was quite impressed.

Of course, on a track, I'm sure that Bullitt Mustang would be able to do things my car can't do. That's OK. I didn't really build my car for track competition. I have done autocross one and I plan to do it more. It's just for fun. I'm not intending to win any championships. :smile2: But currently, my Mustang is much more capable than I am as a driver.

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
This is a pic of my car in the rear view mirror of the Bullitt. Just wanted to throw this in there because, hey, everyone likes pictures, right? This was before we hit the winding, mountain road.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
Thinking in the future which set up is trebly better and why and hopefully from direct experience:

1967 fastback

1. Bilstein font coil over (or similar)

Vs

2. Shelby drop 1 inch lowering springs, bilstein shocks, and with upgraded uppers Lower(no rubber bushings) and struts rods with no rubber bushings.

So my last 67fb I had option 2. I thought it was a pretty nice ride. Of course everyone says coil overs are the best and a much better street ride. But is it really that much noticeable and worth the extra 1200$ ish?

Anyone have direct experience with the above?

You'd have to have serious, serious dollars in a factory front end to even come close to the performance of an
aftermarket coil-over. And no matter what you did, you couldn't get close to the compliant ride of a CO.

I've got no dog in the fight but I've been tuning suspensions for 20+ years.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have your option #2. Sort of.
Shelby drop, opentracker boxed lowers, adjustable strut rods and RideTech Coilovers.

So, it is not a true coilover like the SoT . The only reason I went with this is because my uppers were new and I already had Global West strut rods installed a long time ago.

I like the ride. My friend thinks it is a little stiff. Hitting potholes still kind of jars you. But going over the same potholes in my Fusion is pretty similar. San Francisco has horrible streets.

After saying all that. If I were to do it again. SoT Coilovers for sure. I have learned you might as well stay with the best and not look back.

·
Registered
20,790 Posts
There are coil overs and then there are coil overs. There are some coil over kits that basically replace the stock package and then there are kits like Street or Track that designed a proper coil over. The ones that replace the stock spring are IMO for marketing. A kit like Street or Track are making direct improvement. With the Street or Track by moving the spring and shock to the lower arm allow for a longer spring and a bigger shock that can hold more fluid for better cooling. With a longer spring you allow for more finite adjustment and control. A major reason though is by moving the spring closer to the wheel you improve the motion ratio which means you can do more with less spring rate for a better ride and more control.

My hind sight 20/20 as a suspension newbie. Part of a suspension upgrade is for better handling and part is for better feel. I run a full non coil over Street or Track suspension. Besides the better geometry which makes the car handle better is getting rid of rubber bushings. My suspension is all bearing. By eliminating a flexing bushing with something that doesn’t, dramatically improves the feel and response in every day driving. It adds to the modern feel. Better geometry and alignment settings are the other part of the equation.

I spent a couple years learning about suspensions both by reading and picking the minds of people who know what they are doing like @289GT. I’ve learned a lot and I’m still learning a lot. I highly recommend taking time to learn about suspensions and the faults of the Mustang suspension before you dig in.

Self serving photo for glory and attention

·
Registered
675 Posts
This is a pic of my car in the rear view mirror of the Bullitt. Just wanted to throw this in there because, hey, everyone likes pictures, right? This was before we hit the winding, mountain road.
Kinda reminds me of the scene from Bullitt.

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
Kinda reminds me of the scene from Bullitt.
My wife and older son in the Emberglo following my younger son and me on a little pleasure drive...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
You don't have to have driven either to see which is the more modern, higher performance design. Tom posted a good description of what happens. Deciding to buy one is based on if you have the need or desire. I could have but didn't. I did more or less the #2 option. Big difference from stock and still plenty good enough to cruise. For the street I didn't feel I need the performance. Were I able to race again I couldn't be doing it in a classic Mustang but that's another story.

It's not just the coil over it's the design and materials used of the entire assembly. As noted above a coil over is a shock with an integral spring. The trick is how it's implemented and the materials used.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
So what I’m looking for is comfort and performance. I’m not into keeping the car original, I personally want the car to drive and handle with the most comfort and performance too. I don’t want to feel like a golf cart (if you know what I mean).

I understand the whole concept of a coil over system and the engineer and materials behind the products, but what is truly a more comfortable and performance ride.

The 67fb with be a 400hp 351 with a 5 speed.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
So what I’m looking for is comfort and performance. I’m not into keeping the car original, I personally want the car to drive and handle with the most comfort and performance too. I don’t want to feel like a golf cart (if you know what I mean).

I understand the whole concept of a coil over system and the engineer and materials behind the products, but what is truly a more comfortable and performance ride.

Re-read post #10. You already have the answer. You're not going to get performance and comfort without a CO
setup and a DA shock. It's just not gonna happen.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you!! I think that is the direction I’m going to go!!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

I think we've answered that for you. Your goals emulate mine and I feel I made a solid purchase. I was comparing Ron Morris, TCP and Street or Track and went with SoT based on feedback here and Shaun's reputation and quick, detailed responses to questions regarding his product.

Now I just need to set aside the $$$ for his rear 3 link to make the package complete

1 - 20 of 36 Posts