Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing all new front suspension on my 71 Mach 1 and I don't see my universal spring compressor fitting or doing the job. What's the BEST compressor for this year mustang? Thanks!

·
Dimples
4,853 Posts
I found the one pictured above to be a bit of a bear to work with. I had to buy a 3 inch length of pipe to use as a spacer to get it to work. I've replaced more than a few classic Mustang suspensions in my time, and always preferred the 4-hook design. I have heard others say that version is theoretically not as safe as the one pictured above, which may be why the big chain auto parts stores seem to loan out that kind these days.

I found the 4-hook to be better in every way. Maybe just me?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use an OTC 7045B.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Suggestion to help you and speed up the process. Jack car up, remove both shocks, then slide the compressor down through the shock mount and hook the bottom of the spring, then pull the spring up into the tower. Drop the LCA and unscrew the compressor and drop the spring. It can be done in 10 min, if that.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I made one of the compressors that bolt to the spring perch and used it when I removed my springs, didn't much care for that style. When I installed new springs I bought the four hook style and much preferred it, just take your time to get the hooks seated and spaced correctly.

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
I use an OTC 7045B.

This one. It's almost identical to the Ford tool. Easy and safe.

·
Registered
406 Posts
this is the one I use, works fine
I used this one to remove 750 springs the PO had installed in the 66FB project I bought last summer. Yes, it is a bear to turn but I wanted the strongest because of the spring rating. There was no slipping or movement at all on the coils.

·
Registered
548 Posts

I have this compressor. I have used it on several of my mustangs and it performs flawlessly. I will recommend it to anyone.

LJ

·
Registered
82 Posts
I used this one...

but did take shock out first and then lowered hooks down, grabbed as far as possible, but before sliding the shaft down to screw into lower hooks I passed it through a 1/2 inch piece of flat iron larger than the upper shock mount with a small hole cut in it so the top hooks and hook base could not pass through. I then flipped the top hooks out of the way and just let the block sit on top of the flat iron, then tightened it up. then pulled the spring perch out, then loosened. worked great. out in 10 minutes.
hope this helps.
david

·
Registered
987 Posts
I use an OTC 7045B.

Another vote for this one. I tried the hook and fork one mentioned earlier and hated it. The OTC 7045B was a great purchase and made it very safe and easy

·
Registered
362 Posts
I found the one pictured above to be a bit of a bear to work with. I had to buy a 3 inch length of pipe to use as a spacer to get it to work. I've replaced more than a few classic Mustang suspensions in my time, and always preferred the 4-hook design. I have heard others say that version is theoretically not as safe as the one pictured above, which may be why the big chain auto parts stores seem to loan out that kind these days.

I found the 4-hook to be better in every way. Maybe just me?

I've rented this style of coil spring compressor from Autozone/O'Reilly's multiple times over the years and have never had an issue. I also had to cut down a section of pipe to use as it would bottom out before the coil spring would compress enough but I've had great luck with them so far. And the best part is that they're free if you return or call them up and tell them you need it another day or whatever.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I appreciate the recommendations and the photos, lots of good people willing to help on this site! I did manage to get 1 spring off today, ran short on time for the other side. I ended up making a 6" spacer tube and added a couple of hardened washers to work with the 4 jaw puller, it's a Performance Tool W80554. I like the one pictured where you slide a plate? fork? thru the coil spring from the outside, getting mine setup in the coil was no fun. I'll post pictures this Weekend when the job is done. Also on my car with the coil spring compressed the bottom edge of the upper control arm was resting on the uni body structure. I don't see how removing the lower control arm would gain anything. Maybe I'm missing something? Thanks to all!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts