Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got all OpenTracker goodies. Upper and Lower Control Arms, Arning Drop Template and I already purchased the Roller Spring Perches. All my stuff will be arriving today and tomorrow.

I shopped around before deciding to tackle the job myself.

One well known Sacramento shop who I emailed and they sent back a quote (and also advised me the job was not that difficult to do myself) also advised me to use an external spring compressor and not an internal spring compressor.

The exact quote is:

One suggest Rod,

Get/rent an EXTERNAL compression, We’ve found the internal units don’t work worth a darn, let me know if you need further help.

All the advice I got from this sight is to use an Internal Spring Compressor. I actually bought the one that a person on this sight sells on Ebay. The external ones just don't seem as safe. Am I missing something.

The advice from the shop seems strange to say the least and they work on the classic mustangs all the time.

RME

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Sounds crazy to me. I wouldn't want to try it with an external compressor. I have used a conventional internal one many times, it works great. The solid rod type you bolt to the shock mounting holes looks like it would work well, too (assuming that's what you got off ebay).

My advice is to ignore their advice...

MrFreeze

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds crazy to me. I wouldn't want to try it with an external compressor. I have used a conventional internal one many times, it works great. The solid rod type you bolt to the shock mounting holes looks like it would work well, too (assuming that's what you got off ebay).

My advice is to ignore their advice...

MrFreeze
Yes I plan on ignoring their advice.
Even the Shop manual I have has the ford version of the internal spring compressor
and the Hayes manual also has the internal one.
I have the solid rod type from ebay

65-73 Mustang Shelby Falcon Coil Spring Compressor - eBay (item 260680613320 end time Mar-18-11 20:04:57 PDT)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I probably have the same one you have. There probably are better ones out there but this one worked fine for me. I also kept the threads lubed while in use.

·
Registered
332 Posts
just replaced my stock springs with the 620's from the Grab-a-trak kit... i used the external because i rented and autozone didnt have any of the internals available at the time... i have to say it was easier than the internal spring compressors... i know that the externals are typically used for strut springs and the internals for coil springs, good luck and hope it works out for you

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have some externals from years ago (maybe) when I was going to change the old springs I had in the Mustang. I was say a lil skeptical on a safety issue. To be honest this was over 10 years ago and I was really just unsure about doing the springs myself. Fortunately at the time there was a shop that would do the spring work for $75 a side and for the $150 it cost me I jumped at what I thought was a great price. Later after the springs were installed I was not happy with how the car sat and eventually was out another $150 to replace them again. Ah life's lesssons.

What is hard about using the internal spring compressors?

RME

just replaced my stock springs with the 620's from the Grab-a-trak kit... i used the external because i rented and autozone didnt have any of the internals available at the time... i have to say it was easier than the internal spring compressors... i know that the externals are typically used for strut springs and the internals for coil springs, good luck and hope it works out for you

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
The "regular" internal compressor (the one with the jaws and acme threads) is too long to use in an early Mustang unless you make a spacer for it or use it upside down. I cut a piece of 3/4" pipe to serve as a spacer in mine, and keep the threads well-lubed as has been noted. It's a minor PITA to get the jaws in the right place, and you have to make sure the rod stays centered, but I have done it many times and won't hesitate to do it again.

The ebay one looks REALLY easy.

MrFreeze

·
Registered
562 Posts
Keep in mind the kinetic potential in one of those compressed springs. I have seen some folks get some pretty horrendous injuries when a compressed spring cuts loose. Whatever compresser you use, consider also wrapping a chain or cable around the spring and another part of the car to be safe.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I pulled my stock springs out just by pulling down on them and sliding them out with my hands and put the new grab a track 620lbs coils in the same way. It was real easy.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I pulled my stock springs out just by pulling down on them and sliding them out with my hands and put the new grab a track 620lbs coils in the same way. It was real easy.
Possible Response A: I never want to meet you in a dark alley.

Possible Response B: What did you find wrong with your suspension that allowed you to do that?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Keep in mind the kinetic potential in one of those compressed springs. I have seen some folks get some pretty horrendous injuries when a compredded spring cuts loose. Whatever compresser you use, consider also wrapping a chain or cable around the spring and another part of the car to be safe.

Ok no horror stories just as I have talked myself into doing it myself!
Well that and that and I don't want to spend money on Labor that I could use for other parts!

RME

·
Registered
637 Posts
Ok no horror stories just as I have talked myself into doing it myself!
Well that and that and I don't want to spend money on Labor that I could use for other parts!

RME
You'll be fine. Just take your time, don't get in a rush, and enjoy learning about and working with your Mustang! Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I'm a complete noob and made my own internal compressor, removed, and reinstalled my springs and I still have all my limbs and didn't have a single "close call" or any such scare. Just be smart about it. People love to fear-monger rather than just give good advice. The likely reason that Jays_68_302's new springs went in so easy is probably the same reason mine did, 1" shorter springs and possibly 1" UCA "arning" drop.

Maybe these blog entries can relieve your paranoia a little. There's really nothing to it:

1968 Mustang Convertible Restoration: Removing the Front Suspension

1968 Mustang Convertible Restoration: Suspension Wrenchin'

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
When I removed the springs from my project, I used a pair of old external compressors I had left over from my old '72 240z. Damn am I glad those things were pointing in the opposite direction. I'll be damned if it didn't pop loose and go flying. Not that it came completely off the externals...but one side popped and it went flying! Never again will I try it with those things.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts