Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a heck of a time trying to get my coil springs back in after a front end rebuild. What made it even worse was I had no motor in it to give the front end weight. I already had the internal compressor and I went out and bought the external compressors. I started without the upper arm on the car.

I put the internal compressor through a harmonic damper leaving the bottom hooks under under the damper and the top hooks rested on top. I placed the vibration damper on top of the shock tower and put the bottom hooks through the lowest coil I could reach and cranked it up. When I got so far I used the external compressors and tightened them on the outside and loosened the internal. Once loose, I hooked the internal up again to the lowest coil and started all over until I got the upper arm under it.
I hope this makes sense the way I explained it. The whole job took about two hours to do both sides. Just though I'd share this.
Dave

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Plus you had the safety feature built in to the process using two compressors. I will be installing springs soon too. I rented an external compressor when I removed the old springs. It was a two piece affair with a double splayed hook on each end of the jack shaft. That way you have reach around the circumference of the spring using two jack shafts, and tightening them in an alternating fashion. I was comfortable with that setup and it worked well.

I too have to install my new coils without an engine in. Can't wait to get that front end together. Just ordered a complete front end w/o upper control arms (will rebuild them) from Laurel Mountain Mustang today. Please share any other info you had on your front end install.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I too just completed this arduous task. Very frustrating until I took off the coil spring shields. This allowed me to install the springs straight in instead of angling them in from the sides. I had no problem this way and I didn't even have to compress the springs very much. Took a small step backward (removing shields) but a giant leap forward (10 minute spring installation). I have a Monte Carlo bar and just unbolted one side at a time and had no problem lining everything up and securing it once the springs were in. Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts