Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I replaced my front end this weekend - upper and lower arms, springs, and ties rods. My homemade spring compressor worked like a champ. But I didn't get the end of the coil spring all the way against the stop. One is 3/4" or so off and the other is maybe 1/2". Will this cause a problem? I'm taking it to the shop tommorrow morning for an alignment. Should I have them fix this?

·
Registered
673 Posts
I've been told that it is absolutely necessary to have the spring against the stop... of course I never asked why, I just did it, so I suppose I'm being no help at all :)

Thespazardman

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how did you make your homemade spring compressor?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was a design in one of those mustang "how-to" books that I modified somewhat. I made two steel plates- the top one 6" and the bottom one 7 ". I wanted them wide enough so that if they slipped to one side it would still hold. I used 3/8" steel 2 inches wide from the home improvement store that is marketed as welding stock. I drilled a 5/8 hole in the center of the top one and a 3/4" hole in the bottom one because it needs to tilt a bit in the spring. I put a 18" piece of 5/8" threaded rod through them and used 2 washers and two nuts on each end. I found that drilling 1/4" holes an inch and a half or so from the center hole and adding bolts through those helped keep it from sliding side to side. The bolts in the top plate go down, the ones in the bottom plate go up. 3/4" bolts worked well. Put the bottom plate in the second from the bottom coil (as low as you can get it and still have room for two nuts beneath), l put the rod through and tightened the two nuts against each other securely below the plate (take the shocks out first obviously). The top plate goes on where the shock bracket goes and more washers and nuts. Tighten the top nut to compress it, lubricate with WD-40. Adding the bolts on each side of the center hole helped alot by keeping everything centered.

·
Registered
865 Posts
It would have been a lot easier, faster and a lot safer to have rented a spring compressor. Proper tools are a must when working on the Mustang.

66 coupe, 289, 4 speed, 3.25 gears

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've reeplaced a few coils, in my day. And I'd say you'll get about 1/4 drop from one side to the other, fix it right the first time! If Mustang are going to be in your life, than buy a spring compressor, for $9.99, at most tool outlets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts