Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase a pair of front coil spring saddle perches and found a set that use nitrile rubber.

Is there any benefit to nitrile over natural rubber?

I understand the open tracker bearing saddles are the cat's meow - maybe someday..... but today I'm trying to get a "long time sitter" back on the road and while I'm sure the open trackers are worth every penny - $200.00 is not in the budget.

1967 Coupe

Thanks

·
Registered
35,122 Posts
Standard OE replacements are fine for 99-44/100% of applications. The saddles don't rotate all that much and the resistance in rotation that the elastomer gives is, in my opinion, a trade-off for its insulating properties. The only real "negative" effect is that it will mimic a slight increase in spring rate toward the extents of its travel.

As far as nitrile is concerned.... I'd rather have a fluoroelastomer... nitrile is susceptible to deterioration from ozone and climate.

FWIW, if I ever have to replace my saddles again I'll bush them in bronze and call it a day.

·
Registered
8,874 Posts
Depending on the amount of nitrile in the formula, the Buna-N is superior to natural rubber because of resistance to oil. I think if you
had to choose, maybe the disadvantage of being effected by ozone, sunshine and weather might be more of a determining factor.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I installed a set of the Poly bushings in the spring perch's on my 65 Falcon a few years ago. They work very well with no issues over the years. just make sure to grease them well on the initial install. Looks like Drake is making them now. This is a good way to go if roller perch's are not in your budget. You can use your original perch but it does take some effort to remove the old bushings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts