Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I tell if my coils need replaced? My rear springs are flat so that's pretty obvious. I'm planning a complete front end rebuild after I do the rear. Should I go ahead and just change the coils while I got it apart or reuse the old ones?

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
New springs are a good idea. Thirty year old springs go soft after a while.
Shocks control the way the car feels, springs give the ride height. We have a '68 with the
original springs. To lower the car I cut the original springs and put in some KYB shocks and it
rides fine. If you want the car to handle better, put in a bigger sway bar and some new shocks.
The car will ride stiffer with new springs.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
You could check if the car has started to sag by checking either ride height, or the springs height in the car with the car on a level surface. I don't know what kind of car you drive but for the '69 model year the height from the front of the rocker panel to the ground is 8.4" and the springs design height (intstalled in the car) is 10.4". (both values according to the '69 Mustang AMA report available from www.fomoco.com).

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
these cars are all 30+ years old and most have the original springs in them. no reason *not* to change them out...if htey dont' sag now they will soon. Springs are pretty cheap.

tidbit: springs control how much weight is transferred to each corner...the shocks only control how quickly that weight is transfered.

1970 Fastback, 4V 351C, various colors with black interior

1 - 4 of 4 Posts