Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The coil springs and leaf springs off my GT350 are original. The leaf springs have the C7ZA555AR casting code with a date near the build date of my car. The coil springs have the original purple and yellow paint daubs.

I would like to use these original parts as I reassemble the car, but have some concern with their performance after 35 years. I bought this car with the engine, transmission, and interior removed from the car, so I don't know what the suspension felt like under driving conditions. The car has not been driven for at least 13 years.

I would think that you could make a judgement on the condition of the springs by 1) comparing the current length of the coil springs compared to their original length, and 2) comparing the drop of the top leaf spring (from the top of the eyelets to the lowest point in the valley of the leaf spring) to its original drop.

Does this make sense?

Does anyone know the original length and drop measurements of the coil and leaf springs?

Should I reinstall these original springs?

I appreciate all comments and opinions.

Thanks.

wjj

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
You can have someone re-spring the leaf springs. There are places like frame shops, etc. that can do it. Look in the phone book. For the coils, you can replace them since you have the originals and know what colors and where they were marked so you can reproduce the markings.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
When I had the leaf springs on my 68 re-arced, they added a leaf to keep them from collapsing too soon. Part of the re-arc process is heating them and that weakens the metal, hence the added leaf. I'm very happy with the results on my car, but you may not want the additional leaf.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
if you can reproduce the color codes and
i understand that Eaton springs made the originals??
you could try callin them to find the original specs and buy new??
if you do this .....i want to know the results....cause this is what im thinkin about doin but im too lazy / not enuff time to call them during business hours .
supposedly Eaton has most of the original specs.
I talked to an Eaton rep at Columbus Ohio Ford swap this spring and he didnt have much good to say about the competitors springs, but what else would you expect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts