Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted earlier about the start of my front end rebuild, but I just wanted to add a note about the coil springs.

I bought a coil spring compressor ~$30 from a local parts house. I also bought about 25 washers to space the bolt head away from the top claws of the tool on advice from a couple people here on the forum.

I don't know what I was so scared about. I had all these nightmares that the spring was going to pop out and kill me, but it really wasn't that bad.

The tough part was getting the hooks in the right places on the spring. Then it just took a while of ratcheting and checking to see if it was loose enough to come out...

I did use a air socket to remove the compressor tool from the spring after it was out of the car (when the spring was on the floor). But I suppose I wouldn't recommend using one to actually compress the spring - seems too dangerous.

Anyway, it wasn't bad at all, and I'm sure I'll be faster the next time around taking out the passenger side and also putting the new ones in.

The moral here is - don't be scared of the coil springs, just be careful, go slow and it's fairly easy to do!

-Andy

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
just don't get careless with your confidence. had pull down nut break off on compressor i got from AutoZone - fortunately i was standing ahead or behind wheel well. that really bombs out of there. i could ot get enough room with both jaws without screw going into saddle so i removed top jaws, put 1/4 inch steel plate with hole for screw on top of shock tower, and wound it up, removed saddle and let back down which eliminated playing with it outside tower. still scares me.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
It's still a little scarry. I had to use wrench as a socket and/or extensions would not reach/fit. Quite time consuming.
I have used the kind with removable jaws and non removable jaws, my vote goes to the removable kind, much easier to get in there.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Yeah, they are not that bad. When I was young and stupid, I used a small bottle jack and prybar to push them out on a 66 coupe I had. I replaced them with shorter coils so they weren't bad to put back in. I also pulled a trans by myself and nearly got my head nailed by the full torque converter. Gosh, it's neat to be young and immortal!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
http://bellsouthpwp.net/n/y/nylhtak/morepix/woodenspring.JPG

I am going to try an install on mine in the next week. Been rolling around on "wooden" springs for the past three years. Just an Idea you may want for use w/o springs. Cut them to length and I bolted them from the top and used a guide bolt on the bottom.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,848 Posts
But they must be treated with respect. I very delicately "popped" one out in the junkyard once. It flew across the road and ricocheted off 3 cars before rolling to a stop. Lots of stored energy in a coil spring. I have no doubt that in the right circumstances one could remove your head (face, teeth, jawbone, hand, etc,). As long as you've got one under control with the proper tools then OK, but BE CAREFUL!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
my bud has an 87 5.0GT and we put some eibachs in it not too long ago, and we just could not get the stock spring out for the life of us.. so our friends older bro... he just took an ax, stuck it in there , wedged it real good into the spring, leaned back and yanked it out.... we were all scared to death and taking cover in the garage . that was alot of fun !..but the spring didnt shoot out, it just casually fell out onto the ground.... still was a rush though either way

1 - 7 of 7 Posts