Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was test-driving my '66 after replacing the waterpump, seeing if it would leak on a 20 miles drive (remember from the other post--one bolt wouldn't thread into the timing chaing cover as it was stripped). Well, it doesn't (so far!). But unexpectedly, my car shut off.

I found the problem to be a wire that was dangling near my oil pressure sending unit. When it is grounded, the car shuts off. The wire is red w/ a white stripe. My Wiring Diagram Manual tells me that this wire is to go to the solenoid side of the coil. So, my question is, if it's not been hooked up for 8 months (since my rebuild and reinstallation), why is it there?

I hooked it up to the coil and nothing changed. The car ran and the guages remained the same. What gives?

I do have a Petronix ingition system installed, in case that matters. Please, you electrical gurus, help me on this.

Doug

'66 signal flare red coupe with styled steel wheels
289 4bbl. w/ PS, PB, AC, white interior with a bench seat, deluxe seatbelt option, an extra seatbelt in the back for my three kids, and a tissue dispenser (good for an extra 15 HP!)

·
Premium Member
19,191 Posts
On a 66, red/white wire has two locations: under hood, it is the temp sending unit wire, which makes sense, located close to the oil pressure sending unit. Under the dash, it connects the fuse to the emergency flasher.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a doofus. The wire isn't red/white--i did find it at the temp. sending unit. It's red/green. I think that's suppose to go to the solenoid side of the coil but it's not. It's just been hangin' around.

Again, with that clarification, any ideas as to why it makes no difference as to whether it's hooked up or not?

Doug

289 4bbl. w/ PS, PB, AC, white interior with a bench seat, deluxe seatbelt option, an extra seatbelt in the back for my three kids, and a tissue dispenser (good for an extra 15 HP!)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This wire, if memory serves me correctly, gives the coil full battery voltage only when the starter is engaged. It supposedly makes for quicker startups by bypassing the resistor that limits the primary circuit voltage to about 9.6. I have had many cars with this wire disconnected and they start perfectly, but as you already know you need to keep it from grounding out.

·
Premium Member
19,191 Posts
That's the input wire to the coil. Car can't start without it.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting. My car has been starting w/ out it for almost eight months--really. Isn't the coil picking up its power from a lead from the solenoid? Wouldn't that allow the coil to do its job and the car to start?

Doug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts