Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm on a budget so I don't have unlimited funds to spend on my car but I want to be able to adjust the rear ride height on my 69 convertible. I currently have the stock leaf spring rear suspension. I've looked into mid-eye and reverse-eye leaf springs but the issue I have with those is once I install them I then can't adjust the height to my liking, I'm stuck with whatever the ride height ends up being after installing those spring. I'm leaning installing a four link with Coilover adjustable springs. I see there are multiple kits on the market in a wide range of pricing. For those that have installed one of those rear coilover kits on your car, can you tell me what you went with and the pro's and con's of the kit you installed? I'm just trying to avoid choosing the wrong kit.

Here's a few I see online:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,690 Posts
For less than $400 you can call Eaton Detroit and have them custom manufacture any height and rate springs you desire. Mike Eaton says they've been making special order springs for years.
SAE-5160 steel too. :wink:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
For less than $400 you can call Eaton Detroit and have them custom manufacture any height and rate springs you desire.
SAE-5160 steel too. :wink:
My worry with that is, If I went that route and use lowering leaf springs at the height "I think I want" then once I get them installed and I then realize they are either too low or too high, I cant adjust it if needed.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Just try lowering blocks with the springs you have

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Most all those ebay kits use a Panhard bar as a locating link and will handle differently depending on if it's a right or left corner. Just from looking at the photos, they are built to a price point and will bind with aggressive cornering and will oversteer. They will probably be OK for straight line use but will not corner due to the natural bind that a 4 link has, especially the ones that don't use Heim joints. If you want coilovers in the rear, look to Street or Track, Maier or Griggs. They are more money, but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
429 Posts
One of the drawbacks to a four link is routing the exhaust system, especially when using a rear sway bar. Most people end the exhaust at the mufflers.

·
Registered
270 Posts
,,, the issue I have with those is once I install them I then can't adjust the height to my liking, I'm stuck with whatever the ride height ends up being after installing those spring.....

How about Air over Leaf? Get the lowest leaf spring, or even keep your current springs and assist them with air bags to your desired height. Then you can even air up if you have rear seat passengers or a heavy load in the trunk.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, all good details to know. Thanks for the input. I'm not looking to create any new issues for myself so I probably am going to just Roll the Dice and go with the mid-eye leaf springs, hopefully thy aren't too low or too high.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts