Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vendor
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you see the testing of our front coilover suspension system in this months Mustang Monthly?

We love the way Dave Stribling cuts through all the fluff and actually brings the tech. So many articles are just install articles but Dave actually tests the promises of the manufacturer. We didn't hesitate having Dave write this piece as we already know how much an improvement our system is!

If you don't have the copy in print, check out the electronic version - https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1968-ford-mustang-coilovers-put-to-the-test/

·
Registered
8,679 Posts
Very interesting. Basically what I've been saying for quite some time
in terms of improvement from c/o installation.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Nice write up Shaun. One day I hope to put your front and rear setup in mine.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Read it about an hour ago. Nice write-up with great results. Nice explanation about how and why it works.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good write up with well explained results. Really making me consider one of your coil-over setups for my 65 convertible. I'd been leaning towards sticking with a traditional setup, albeit with an Arning drop and updated/upgraded parts from you or John at Opentracker, but this may have tipped the scales towards going coil-over.

One question I had was what your thoughts were about this statement from the article:

"The improved front suspension really amplified problems with the stock rear suspension."

I'm was planning on sticking to leaf springs in the rear, as I'm not in a position to upgrade everything all at once, not to mention that I've never welded, don't own a welder, or know anyone that does so modifying my current rear end isn't really in the cards. I was going to change to a 4.5 leaf mid-eye with Bilsten shocks to match the front, but how much of a detriment to the enjoyment of the improved front end will it be to leave the rear end setup on leaf springs?

·
Registered
8,679 Posts
One question I had was what your thoughts were about this statement from the article:

"The improved front suspension really amplified problems with the stock rear suspension."
Let me make it perfectly clear that I'm not answering for Shaun, but the old suspension
tuning saying is - "Fix what isn't working first and then fix the other end."

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Vendor
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good write up with well explained results. Really making me consider one of your coil-over setups for my 65 convertible. I'd been leaning towards sticking with a traditional setup, albeit with an Arning drop and updated/upgraded parts from you or John at Opentracker, but this may have tipped the scales towards going coil-over.

I'm was planning on sticking to leaf springs in the rear, as I'm not in a position to upgrade everything all at once, not to mention that I've never welded, don't own a welder, or know anyone that does so modifying my current rear end isn't really in the cards. I was going to change to a 4.5 leaf mid-eye with Bilsten shocks to match the front, but how much of a detriment to the enjoyment of the improved front end will it be to leave the rear end setup on leaf springs?
I'm not familiar with the setup on the test car so I can only guess it wasn't new leaf springs with good shocks. We've had excellent results for a street car pairing our front coilover with our 4.5 leaf mid eye leaf springs and Bilstein shocks in the rear. Most of the weight, braking and all the steering happens at the front end so spending the big money there pays dividends.

If you have no desire to weld we have a 3-Link ready rear end available with all the mounts pre-installed before powder coat. This way you are simply bolting in the parts to the chassis and connecting the links/shocks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts