Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a 20" cold case radiator on my '68 coupe. I noticed the cap was letting antifreeze leak out, as well as steam, which was weird since the temp gauge doesn't get above 195. After a closer look, I found, that the paint under the hood where the radiator cap sits is getting worn down, the radiator cap is rubbing against the underside of the hood. I put a piece of tape on the area and sure enough, when I closed the hood and opened it back up the tape was torn up. So, the hood, when closed, presses against the radiator cap. I measured the height of the radiator neck, it's 1-1/8", compared to the height of the one on my old radiator which as about 7/8". Has anyone else had this problem? I can't lower the radiator without elongating the radiator mounting holes, and that'll put the petcock so close to the frame support that I won't be able to open it. Also, this neck seems too long for most radiator caps, the one that shipped with the cold case is about 1/4" longer in the sprung seal than every other cap I have. I purchased the radiator from NPD, 8005-3EA, which is supposed to fit my application. Anyone else out there used the cold case?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yeah, same problem here on a ‘68 with 289.

It seems like the end tanks are also taller, top and bottom, causing the stock shroud to not fit properly, and as you mentioned, a Stant radiator cap isn’t really long enough to engage the neck in the radiator. I don’t think you could push the radiator lower in the car, either, because the lower tank will hit the bottom of the radiator support and tops of the strut rod brackets.

I’m really disappointed with my Cold Case radiator and with the NPD salesperson for hard-selling me on it. Not to mention that I painted mine before installing it, so I own it now. My Cold Case cap also had the chrome peel off the first time I put it on, and later I noticed that it bypasses coolant before the car reaches operating temp (feel your spring; mine is VERY soft, especially compared to a Stant 16psi cap). I emailed Cold Case and they said this was the first they had heard of any fitment issues, and that the cap was supposed to be 16psi. They said that if I had issues with it that I could replace it with “any standard radiator cap”.

My assumption is that this is just a cheap Chinese junk brand with all the money spent on marketing. They don’t seem like they actually have any clue about the product they’re selling, which usually means that they’re not the ones making it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
For comparison. If anybody can provide a part number for a 16 lb standard configuration cap to fit a deeper radiator neck, I would be very grateful. Has to be a non-lever type, or you get a dent in your hood; ask me how I know.

Pictured:

Left: Stant 10331
Middle: Cold Case
Right: Stant 10230

Attachments

·
Vendor
3,515 Posts
I installed a 20" cold case radiator on my '68 coupe. I noticed the cap was letting antifreeze leak out, as well as steam, which was weird since the temp gauge doesn't get above 195. After a closer look, I found, that the paint under the hood where the radiator cap sits is getting worn down, the radiator cap is rubbing against the underside of the hood. I put a piece of tape on the area and sure enough, when I closed the hood and opened it back up the tape was torn up. So, the hood, when closed, presses against the radiator cap. I measured the height of the radiator neck, it's 1-1/8", compared to the height of the one on my old radiator which as about 7/8". Has anyone else had this problem? I can't lower the radiator without elongating the radiator mounting holes, and that'll put the petcock so close to the frame support that I won't be able to open it. Also, this neck seems too long for most radiator caps, the one that shipped with the cold case is about 1/4" longer in the sprung seal than every other cap I have. I purchased the radiator from NPD, 8005-3EA, which is supposed to fit my application. Anyone else out there used the cold case?
We just recently learned of these issues (including cjhudson's post as well), and in bringing it to Cold Case's attention, found out that they've had a tank re-design that they had never made us aware of..

Casey, I already have your contact info.. But eggsmartha, could you please email me [email protected] with your contact information so that I can find you in our system?

It's too premature to detail what we can do, but I want to assign you both to a manager so that we can walk down the road with it.

Thank you,

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
239 Posts
We just recently learned of these issues (including cjhudson's post as well), and in bringing it to Cold Case's attention, found out that they've had a tank re-design that they had never made us aware of..

Casey, I already have your contact info.. But eggsmartha, could you please email me [email protected] with your contact information so that I can find you in our system?

It's too premature to detail what we can do, but I want to assign you both to a manager so that we can walk down the road with it.

Thank you,

Rick
NPD
Thanks Rick. I hope my words regarding the NPD staff weren’t too harsh. That radiator was a part of my very first NPD order (I think), and with the exception of that one piece, I’ve really felt like I can trust the fitment notes that you guys provide on the parts you sell. I’m glad to hear from your response here, that you take such things seriously. I’m more “frustrated”, I suppose, than “disappointed”, as I said in my post, though Cold Case themselves have been completely unhelpful. I hope you guys sort it out; that radiator has the potential to be a nice piece. Thanks for chiming in here.

Casey

·
Vendor
3,515 Posts
Thanks Rick. I hope my words regarding the NPD staff weren’t too harsh. That radiator was a part of my very first NPD order (I think), and with the exception of that one piece, I’ve really felt like I can trust the fitment notes that you guys provide on the parts you sell. I’m glad to hear from your response here, that you take such things seriously. I’m more “frustrated”, I suppose, than “disappointed”, as I said in my post, though Cold Case themselves have been completely unhelpful. I hope you guys sort it out; that radiator has the potential to be a nice piece. Thanks for chiming in here.

Casey
No worries at all! We'll be in touch soon..
@eggsmartha ... Still waiting to hear from you, this train needs to leave the station soon... [email protected]

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Not that you should have to do this(NPD will take care of you), but you can always cut the radiator cap neck off and have it re-welded 1/8"-3/16" lower...just enough to gain the needed clearance...I would think most welding shops would do this for under $50(if they are only doing the welding, not the cutting)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts