Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With this car being my first carburetor engine vehicle, I finally found the sweet spot with cold starts. Tap on the gas pedal 3 times and start the car. The auto choke does its job. My fast RPM sits at 1,600. I give the gas pedal a tap after a minute and it idles at 900. I'm wondering if 1,600 is too high for the fast rpm. Any dangers with letting the car idle at 1,600 RPM for a minute or two?

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
leave well enough alone

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
Most of the pedestrian engines had a high idle RPM spec from 1200 ~1600. Some of the CJ/SCJ and Boss engines were upwards of 2400 rpm cold idle.

1600 should be fine. If it bothers you, lower it down a couple hundred rpms.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Fast Idle is a single screw adjustment on the screw riding the cam with the ^ showing the location of the screw on the cam at fast idle for Autolite 2100 and 4100 carbs. Might be opening a can of worms here, but if everything is operating as it should, that's all you should have to do to knock it down a bit. Shouldn't take much adjusting to do so.

Reactions: cheapbastard

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
If it’s an automatic transmission, it might be tricky to keep from creeping if you were to pop it in drive while it was still on the high idle. But other than that, I agree with the others, leave well enough alone.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
The Ford fast idle specs are in the back of the Fuel section of the shop manual.

It lists numbers anywhere from 1200-1900 depending on the application, so you're right in the middle. If you wanted to check exactly what it should be for your engine/transmission/carburetor combo though that'd be the place to check.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts