Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Color do you guys here think I should paint my car?
I need as many opinions as possible. It is a 65 coupe, Should I paint it orginal color of spring time yellow or white with blue racing stripes. I am going to enter it in some shows, but not real seriously. I don't know what it would look like with the white or even if it would look good. Because it is springtime yellow now.

Thanks John
65 Coupe I6
Inline Power

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
What color is the interior? Do you want to stay within the color palette for the model year? If the interior is black and you don't care about the color being correct for the year, your choices are unlimited. If you go for a color that's not correct for the year, though, go for something with real flair so that when you show it, it won't be in the middle ground of being both wrong for the year and not flashy enough for people not to care.

Our Ponies
http://www.ultranet.com/~bpratt/images/Mach1painted.jpg http://www.ultranet.com/~bpratt/images/65vert.jpg

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
There are a lot of Mustangs painted like Shelbys that are not Shelbys. I like white but not
with the LeMans stripes. The original color is always a good idea no matter what color
it is. Do a lot of looking around, once your paint is on, it's something you have to live with
for a while. The color of the interior is a good place to start if you are not going to change
that too.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to agree with the post above me. I don't know why, but it really erks me when people try to make their car something it isn't. There is something regal about originality, and if you are not going nuts with some 400+hp asphalt eating supercar, I'd vote for originality... Haven't we all seen enough of the normal colors? Yellow is different, and that makes it cool.
Whatever you do, it'll still be a stang though..
T

1966 C-Code Convertible, 59 Edsel Villager
Charlotte, NC
New Cars Have No Soul.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree totally with above post, keep the car orginal as much as you can if your wanting to change colours either stay within the year your stang is or go extreme and be different, choose a colour you enjoy looking at don't worry about everyone else it's your ride and it's there for you to enjoy, have fun with it. As well ditch the white with the lemans stripes, I personally don't like those "want to be" look a likes, if you want a shelby colour buy a shelby. Go with what you enjoy. Just my two cents worth

69 Mach 1= Competition Orange

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'd usually say go original. That is, if you like the original color. Springtime Yellow is nice color. Especially if you have a black vinyl top.

I did not paint my car the original color because I hated it....so if you really don't like the yellow, paint it whatever color strikes you.

I am a bit of a purist, but I could not see myself driving a beautiful "brown" (Sunlit gold) 69 fastback. So I went with red. So far nothing but compliments.

Let us know what you decide. It's no fun to have a color you don't like just in an attempt to stay original.

If it were a Corvette, then that would be a bit different (yes, I said the word...sorry fellas)

JJ
69 Fastback 302 2v 3sp. trans.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1605599&a=12251632&p=44630868.jpg

·
Registered
514 Posts
I've never really liked springtime yellow, looks too pukey to me. (sorry in advance to proud springtime yellow owners, it's just my opnion.) I like white, but I think coupes with Le Mans stripes don't really look good. What about painting your car with a more vibrant yellow? The 94 95 Mustang Canary Yellow is nice.

http://216.71.48.244/archive/mikecar.jpg

65 Fastback 289 4spd in storage :-(
91 CRX Si... A.K.A. my go-kart with AC!

·
Registered
553 Posts
The only problem I see with "flashy" color schemes is that, if you are young and a boy, you are likely to be spotted and ticketed more by your friendly police force. Might want to keep that in mind.

Pam

[color:red]Just another wrench-turner</font color=red>
[color:blue]1967 Coupe, v8 302 - Hers</font color=blue>
[color:purple]1990 Nissan Pathfinder - His</font color=purple>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you should paint the car whatever color you want. I really like how coupes w/ the stripes look. I have a 65 coupe also and I am planning on painting it patriot blue w/ white stripes. Personally I don't really like the yellow color your car is but it is up to you.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do what makes you happy!!

65 coupe 302
(rebuilding a 351W)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well..i just had mine painted aquamarine...with a metallic....
afterlook..
but then i'm partial to blue...
ponies always look good in red...
but paint it anything but that yellow...yech..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whatever floats your boat! I always say go orginal but i have to be free and express my own opinion! If someone tells you are just trying to make your car something else then they are just jealous! I once wanted to make my moms Yugo with the same racing stripes to make it a Shelby look alike!....LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts