Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if real comfortweave upholstery is still being made rather than the embossed vinyl made to look like comfortweave?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Yes. Contact SMS Auto Fabrics 350 South Redwood St. Canby, Oregon 97013
Don't know if they have colors but they sent me a sample (Free!) of exact woven vinyl black comfort weave as was optional on 68 Mustang.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I confirm once again. SMS sent me a sample of their black comfortweave....$99/yd. It is indeed the real thing! The letter from them is dated Aug 25,2010.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I am assuming you would have to buy the comfortweave material and have in sewn into standard seatcovers or have an upholstery set custom made? Sounds like there is no one that sells a complete real confortweave upholstery ready to install?

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
Yes. That's right. You catch on quickly. You can send material directly to TMI, and they have a special service that will sew in whatever material you like. That's the only one that I know of outside of a private upholstery shop, which I probably would not trust..

This all started when people wanted to "sew-in" their original '65-'66 Deluxe Pony Interior inserts when the color of the repros in the repro upholstery was off from the original....and still is to this day..that I know of.

Tony K.

·
Registered
442 Posts
So I am assuming you would have to buy the comfortweave material and have in sewn into standard seatcovers or have an upholstery set custom made? Sounds like there is no one that sells a complete real confortweave upholstery ready to install?
Mustangs Unlimited sells comfortweave in the premade sets for 69-73 Mach1s.
Not sure what year you're looking for but maybe they have it for earlier years.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Had comfortweave in a 72 Gran Torino that I bought in 72 as a demo. It was ok but not THAT much different in the hot summer than the regular vinyl. Of course I did not have black which would possibly be more noticeable heat wise.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Had comfortweave in a 72 Gran Torino that I bought in 72 as a demo. It was ok but not THAT much different in the hot summer than the regular vinyl. Of course I did not have black which would possibly be more noticeable heat wise.
My 70 Torino GT vert has medium blue interior with factory comfort weave. The high back buckets are like Mach I except for the silver horizontal stripe. The comfort weave definitely is very noticible with the medium blue.

Try sitting on black vinyl in a vert with the top down! The comfort weave makes it tolerable!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Really? Can you provide a pointer? I just looked in their online catalog and was unable to find this...

-Rory

1 - 10 of 10 Posts