Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a car in California and I live in Georgia. I would like to get everyone's opinion on Dependable Auto Shippers DAS. If you have used them, please let me know how your experience was and how smooth the process was....whether you dropped the car off or used their Door to Door service, etc.

Thanks
Keith

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
I moved my Cat from AZ to Washington, door-to-door (tires were iffy when I bought it), and it went very smoothly. They told me two weeks, took 9 days. I was happy.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
My experience was not a good one. My car was to be shipped from KY to CA via an enclosed DAS trailer. I was assured that it would never leave the truck once it was on.

It took an extra 2 weeks to get here. No explanation was given. When the car arrived, it was covered in sand, both doors had bad pry marks on them because the door locks did not work (they worked when the car was dropped off by the PO), the trunk also had pry marks on it and was lifted up about 1" on one corner and the clutch was toast. I paid extra for an enclosed trailer to avoid the car getting damaged like this. I was not happy.

My insurance (Hagerty) paid for the body repairs but I paid for the clutch repair out of my pocket ($500). DAS was non-negotiable on this. I did not get their insurance for $200. I am glad I didn't since they would not have paid for he clutch even if I had had it.

I know many have had good luck with DAS and other shippers, but for me I will either buy locally or go get the car myself on a trailerin the future.

Mark

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
The fellow who bought my fastback used DAS to ship from LA to CA, and for the most part I think he was satisfied. At least the car arrived in good shape. I think the only complaint was that the car sat at a local towing facility for a couple of weeks until DAS had a truck in this area heading west... :: Dickson

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I've used them once.
They were decent. It did take the full 10 days they quoted to get the car from MA to NJ whcih is only a 5 hour drive as it sat at the terminal for awhile until they had a truck coming down this way.

I've used two other companies so far.
Once was absolutely horrible and the other was pretty cheap (carmoves.com) but did take awhile to get the car here.
I can't blame them to much for this as the car was an inop with a locked wheel that the PO never told me or the driver about.
If I couldn't find a member on the boards with an open trailer heading my way I'd probably use either carmoves or DAS again.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
These guys delivered my car from CA. to PA in seven days.http://www.sundayautotransport.com/index.htm Quote was given instantly over the phone. Called on Thurs. car was picked up on Sunday and delivered the following Sunday. Was kept abrest of progress every day from Thurs until Sunday. Driver was very careful and potlite. A friend of mine recomended them and I was so satified I wrote the president of the Co. to thank them. RAY

·
Registered
404 Posts
My company uses them so I have had the opportunity to ship cars 5 times now. My company requires door to door service. I would recommend dropping it at the terminal.

I have had the entire spectrum of results. One time they delivered my vert covered in salt/snow/mud with a freshly busted choke cable. There was mud all over the inside where they were jumping in and out trying to get it started. (They couldn't figure out to give it a little gas when you run the starter. Think carburetor!)

The other times, the worst I had was a run down battery.

It's a real crap shoot..... If you get a good connection, they will be ahead of schedule otherwise, it sets in the yard outside until they can get an enclosed transport load.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Get a quote from Able Auto transport. They are cheaper and quicker than DAS in my experience. As already mentioned, with DAS you run the risk of your car sitting in a terminal somewhere for a couple weeks (ask me how I know). www.ableautotransport.com

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
It might be a little late but I’ve used them about 3 years ago with good results. Shipped a car fro Los Angelis California to Linden New Jersey on an open carrier (terminal to terminal) for about $800. There tracking could only tell me when the car arrived and left the terminal in LA and when the car arrived in Linden. They couldn’t provide any information about in between.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts