Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got off my lazy butt and signed up for the Body Repair and Refinishing class here at the City College. It blew me away! I always thought it was just a class with some basic welding and bondo techniques and that we'd practice on old fenders or scrap. Turns out that you work on your own car! You pull your car into the shop, the instructor looks at your "project" and tells you exactly what materials you'll need to buy. You go buy them and then he shows you how to do the work... and if there are students in the class that didn't bring in a car, they help you with yours!

I know, I was wary when I heard that others would be working on my car, but the instructor was very clear about his views of shoddy workmanship and that he's a fanatic when it comes to bodywork...so we'll learn to do it right, or we'd be kicked out of class and barred from any further shop classes. On top of that, he sparked up when I told him I was bringing in my 67 (i guess he's burnt out on imports) and he scowled when I made mention of the minor and bubbled paint and went on a minor tirade about car cancer (he definitely takes it personally) and how we'd have a great learning experience welding in new panels instead of just doing quickie patch jobs or screwing on plastic parts, etc etc.

He also made mention of the fact that once we start the class, the entire shop is ours, including the paint booth, so we can pretty much come in whenever we like to work on our cars (as long as there's space in the shop).

I can hardly wait for Monday to come around so I can start work! All I kept thinking was,"I must've been an idiot to have waited this long... think of all the money I'm saving by doing my own work... all those parts I can now buy... the new paint! My god.. new paint!!!..."

I just feel like a kid on Christmas Eve. I can't ever remember being this excited about a class back when I was in college. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif To those of you who have the opportunity, I highly recommend taking a class like this. My class is only two days a week for three hours each class, and most importantly, it's in the evening so I just drive over after work. I don't see how I can go wrong! Expert advice anytime I need it, I buy and use the materials I want, I do my own work, free usage of all the equiptment, and all for $44 for the class fee.. it should be illegal or something! Okay... I'll stop now before I start giggling uncontrollably again (my gf thought I was losing it last night... until she came up with the idea that I do her car on weekends). Thanks for listening to my blabbling. Man, I just can't wait...

·
Registered
692 Posts
I'm very glad I took a class to paint mine. My bodywork isn't perfect, but 95% of the people out there never notice it. The cost savings to doing your own car is huge!! I took the class for two semesters to do mine, but I did lots of other stuff like the high back seat mounting, sub-frame connectors, etc. One of the best parts about the class is all of the sanding dust stays at school and not in your garage! Have fun!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Wow! Sounds great. Someone to teach you how to do it, a place to do it, the tools to use, and others to help you. For thousands of dollars less than it would cost you to get it done. WOW!

Does anyone know if any of the colleges in the Dallas area offer this??

What are the ages of the people in your class? Will they take middle-aged Mustang guys?

·
Premium Member
19,215 Posts
Attaboy! I did just this, but to learn how to weld. 2 nights a week, for about 18 weeks, cost $180. I learned a lot, and was well worth it.

Three cheers for Community Colleges and Vocational Schools!
Woohoo! Woohoo! Woohoo!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From what I could tell, the age spread was fairly diverse. Mainly young men, but there were a few women and quite a few "middle-aged" types. As far as Middle-Aged Mustangers go, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to see you and your car roll in. Mustangs are instant "Coolness" multipliers so just by being the owner, you'd get instant bonafides.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've been thinking about doing the same thing, but my job involves traveling, so I don't know for sure that I'd be able to make it to the classes. My brother took his car to a Community College and had the students paint his without him having to take the class. I've also thought about doing something like that.

·
Registered
190 Posts
WoW!
I had thought about taking such a class & then buying all the materials, tools, etc. I had no idea that I may be able to work on my own car. I am definitely going to look into this over the winter. Thanks for posting this!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts