Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on using this in my stock shortblock, as I get my new heads back from the machine shop. new "stock" springs are what the machine shop recomends. because the comp cams part # shows a spring that the OD diameter is a bit wider and would require more machine work to the heads.
What do you guys think?
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif
ps: think its a decent cam for a 600cfm autolite+ dual exh 289 auto. 3:00 gears..
212 212 .447 .447 @50 i think
Steve

·
Registered
188 Posts
i have a 260 comp cam in my 200 engine, I think with a V-8 and more cubic inches youd want to go with something that has more duration and lift, I see guys with 289's that have them up in the 280/90's.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Have the machine shop done anything to improve exhaust side. Unless they have done a small port job, you could be better off with dual pattern cam, which has more duration and/or lift on the exhaust side.
The cam should work with stock springs because lift and duration are not too wild. Comp Cams Extreme Energy 262 would have been my choice but fast ramps on lobes might require slightly stiffer springs than stock, but you should consult Comp Cams about that.
I think your cam will be about right to your automagic and 3.00 gears. You will have nice torque numbers.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I am on my third 260H in tow vehicles and I like them. Gas mileage improved as well as low end power where it is needed for towing. I even used stock springs. However, the new Xtreme Energy series will be in my motorhome soon. That is a dual pattern with a much more agressive profile. It does require matched springs but Comp. said mine would not require any machining. Before you purchase, give them a call with all your specs and expectations and they will gladly help out.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
With that cam, stock springs should be fine. I ran a Performer cam .442/.472 lift with old stock springs for years and the motor would still spin to 6k without floating valves.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I had a similar issue with my Crane 260/272 - .456/.484 camshaft. My Uncle owns a machine shop and helped me assemble my engine. He used Crower springs from a Chevy application that matched the spring specs of the camshaft to fit the stock heads correctly without additional machine work.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I just noticed your setup. It is nearly the same as mine, mild 289, C4 auto, 3.00 gears.

I am pretty happy with the combo. It has great torque and is nice around town. I would like a little more pull on the top end, but I think that will come with aftermarket heads. I just have stock heads/valves now with mild exhaust porting.

One thing that really made my combo snappy was adding a shift improver kit to my C-4. It shifts down and wants to boogie now. Feels like a completely different car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts