Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking through the Cobra Automotive catalog and saw that they carry a "Competition Crossmember". Any insight as to why this is better than a stock one?

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
Here's how it reads in the catalog:

Competition Cross Members
Developed on the racetrack and fantastic for the street. This cross member ties the lower
control arms in with the chassis for more structural support; especially needed for Uni-
Body cars. A time-tested improvement incorporated during the Boss 302 Trans Am
days.
336-101 1965-66 Mustang
336-1010 1967-70 Mustang and Cougar

I think it bolts to the frame rail and and the lower arm mount area. Would just be another part to help tie it all together. I've been thinking of making one or just buying it.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
i know i have mine coming becasue i called cobra automotive to order a catologe, and they said it would be coming with my order, but i didnt order anything.....

·
Registered
118 Posts
i have the competition crossmember installed in my '65 fastback. the competition crossmember is superior because it mounts to the lower control arms in addition to the framerails. the factory crossmember only mounts to the framerails.

i ran the global west suspension for one year before installing the competition crossmember. the handling improvement is drastically better with the competition crossmember.

there is a picture on my cardomain page that shows the underside of the motor and trans. you can see how the crossmember ties into the lower control arms.

this is an affordable ($150) and easy mod that pays HUGE dividends on the street or the track.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Mario, cool car! That's a great stance.

Thanks for the picture. It looks like there's a spacer between the cross-member and the LCA mounting point. Is that the case?

The reason that I ask is because I've been considering adding the '67 style square eccentrics for camber adjustment and I thought this crossmember would make that impossible if it bolted up flush. It looks like you could just machine the round tube spacer smaller and then slot the hole for the LCA inner bolt on the cross-member and it would work.

Very cool.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
The the Do It Yourselvers, the Boss 302 Chassis Modification booklet has instructions on how to make one. If you have a welder and a drill, it's rather easy. It would be a bit different for a 65-66, but the principle is the same.

That $10 booklet is a nice read BTW.

·
Registered
118 Posts
jason-
thanks for the kind comments. i could make up an answer to your question, but it really wouldn't be helpful to you. my friend at Performance Musclecar Ent. built the car for me. I am only good for some maintenance and changing parts i can see. most of the parts i ordered were things i saw, but first consulted him about.

from what i recall about installing the competition crossmember, no special parts were needed to install it. i know that doesn't exactly answer your question. i guess what i am saying is that it will bolt right up. as for the other stuff you talked about fabbing up, i have never heard of that stuff.

i will tell you that the people at cobra automotive are very knowledgeable and helpful. i recall one guy who helped me out with a few parts was named Scott. it's a small store, so i am sure you can find him. call and they will give you all the info you need. afterall, they build and maintain racecars first, and sell the parts they use second. they are a great resource.

on a sidenote, i was autocrossing today. a lot of other drivers commented that they could not believe how flat my mustang remained throughout the course. the crossmember is a big part of that.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'll be making one of these cross-members over the winter. It should compliment my torque boxes and seam welding nicely.

Bob, what you described is what I was thinking. I'll stick with two square eccentrics though.

Helmantel, I've been meaning to get that book. I'll have to get it soon.

Mario, it topped out at 30 today in MI. Autocrossing was the farthest thing from my mind!

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Delta Bay Mustang also has the same type of crossmember. It's square, not as pretty as the Cobra Automotive, but is about 60% of the price and does the same thing.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
i think running the compettion x-member with the eccentric eliminator kit work awesome together in that the bolt would be fit through both parts of the eliminator kit and the crossmember therfore making the whole unit almost solid in a way. the competition x-member uses an oblong hole so that the alignment is still adjustable as normal

·
Registered
447 Posts
Mitchell,

Would you mind posting some pics of the cobra automotive cross-member...if you did in fact get it?

I'm specifically interested in the detail of how the mount to both the frame rail and the LCA inner pivot. I'll be ordering the Boss 302 book soon, but I'm curious!

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
From their website
http://www.cobraautomotive.com/crossmember.jpg

Dave
Nice! :jawdrop: That thing is sexxy! :: It'd be nice to have a pic of the Delta Bay unit for comparison purposes though.
--Kyle

1 - 20 of 22 Posts