Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had purchased a competition cross member from Zray (HPM eKschange ? Login) mid June and thought I'd submit a little review. Up front I will say I haven't been really pushing my '66 to its limits due to a bad lifter (gets fixed next week).

Cons
- Only one and its small. Had to open up the holes a bit as the crossmember did not fit out of the box. Quite frankly, on 50 year old cars no 2 will be the same and so some fitting is to be expected. Brought crossmember to a local machinist and it was quick work on a mill to enlarge the openings.

Pros
- Excellent instructions/phone support
- Once the openings were enlarged, crossmember went right on ... very easy to fit
- Crossmember cleared oil pan with room to spare
- Price

Based on the driving I've done, bottom end does seem to have stiffened up latterly and seems to work nicely with a top mounted monte carlo bar. Car does seem to handle a bit better. A good comparison would be to check with/without in an Autocross event.

Would definitely recommend.

·
Premium Member
10,866 Posts
any improvement in the lower crossmember will make a difference. its best to weld it in. sure you wont be able to pull the oil pan unless you raise it but 67-up fairlanes ,torinos , 65-up full size fords , 71-73 mustang/cougar and many many other cars have welded in members that require the engine to be raised. how often do you pull the oil pan ? weld it on.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Just installed my "custom" crossmember from Z Ray... That guy is awesome!

I ordered one in his normal configuration from him, and it didn't fit, so made a cardboard template of what the cross member needed to go around and he custom made it! Even a little notch for the oil plug so it won't have to be removed for oil changes...

This thing fits so perfectly and even if the stiffness doesn't make a noticeable difference (haven't driven it yet), the ease of jacking the car now has me smiling big time!

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Agree on all counts. Z is great to work with and custom made one that will clear my grossly oversized oil pan! I did have to open the holes up for the bolts to the frame rail, but also believe this is my car, not a problem with the crossmember.

It does seem to make the front end feel more solid, particularly in turns and the jacking pad makes lifting the front end a breeze. Great product and a great guy to work with!

·
Registered
1 Posts
65/66 cross member with jacking plate

Just Installed the cross member with the jacking plate in My 1966 Mustang Coupe I purchased from Z-Ray and the quality is great the cross member fit in My Mustang no problems what so ever. The cross member is well made and the welding on the cross member is very well done Z-Ray is very nice to deal with I'm very Happy with the product keep up the great work . Gotstang66

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just installed this on my 65 coupe. Mine has a 351W based 408 stroker and the engine has been lowered .5" with Ron Morris mounts. I have the big Canton T-sump pan and Z-Ray's standard cross member fits with lots of room everywhere. The stock unit hit on the bottom corners of the pan. The jack pad makes lifting the car a breeze, I must also add that the customer service is great.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Green ... fit was fine with the exception of having to open a couple of the holes a bit (stated this above). After 50 years, each car will be different and yours may fit perfectly. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade, especially when paired with a Monte Carlo bar.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Green ... fit was fine with the exception of having to open a couple of the holes a bit (stated this above). After 50 years, each car will be different and yours may fit perfectly. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade, especially when paired with a Monte Carlo bar.
Understood, I just wondered which way your car had changed, wider or narrower.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Just installed this on my 65 coupe. Mine has a 351W based 408 stroker and the engine has been lowered .5" with Ron Morris mounts. I have the big Canton T-sump pan and Z-Ray's standard cross member fits with lots of room everywhere. The stock unit hit on the bottom corners of the pan. The jack pad makes lifting the car a breeze, I must also add that the customer service is great.
Great info. I'm holding off on ordering one until my 67 comes home from paint shop. I'm using the RM mounts,lowered 1/2" ad have a Kevco 7 qt. RR pan. So it sounds like I'm best to wait & see exact clearance issues.
Gimpy

·
Premium Member
13,114 Posts
Great info. I'm holding off on ordering one until my 67 comes home from paint shop. I'm using the RM mounts,lowered 1/2" ad have a Kevco 7 qt. RR pan. So it sounds like I'm best to wait & see exact clearance issues.
Gimpy
It does help to see exactly where the clearance issues are with the stock crossmember. As noted above, generally my crossmembers will fit most aftermarket oil pans and engines that are using the Ron Morris 0.5" lowering mounts. When they won't fit I have been able to fabricate a custom crossmember that will fit

Z

·
Registered
472 Posts
I had to open up the eccentric bolt holes, one side a bit higher, the other a bit lower. not that big of a deal. highly recommend getting a spare set of what will be unique eccentric bolts/washers. especially if its a "forever car". never know what might happen during an alignment and an aggressive tech. I stripped one, but it was completely my fault before I fixed eccentric hole alignment.

length from frame to frame (main support bolts) fit perfect. really not sure they would need welding as recommended above, it mounts rock solid with frame and eccentric bolts. strength feels way way better than stock, no comparison really.

aftermarket miloden pan has plenty of clearance, he pushed the jack pad back half way to clear oil pan but may not have needed that. stock engine mounts, those ron morris adj motor mounts added vibration. not much insulation and wore quick with my HP I guess. ditched 'em for plain ole' stock eng mounts. pan fits fine with this brace.

quality is great. ease of jacking car is awesome, though tight getting a jack under that far with my ground clearance.

honestly - no change in ride feel during daily (sometimes aggressive) driving with 550HP. But then my car has a pretty tight/solid front end. I was only looking for added strength and jacking ability.

A++ highly recommend this brace.

next step for me is frame rail connectors. guessing I'll feel the difference they add in strength.

my setup:
- Shelby drop (huge improvement)

- new ..quality.. but stock springs. (three sets before happy - stock springs from CJ ended up best to fix road feel, that first inch of travel. progressive rate springs just didn't do it for my car, though I had thought they would be best. I wanted "smooth" modern car like feel. worth those painful and dangerous spring swaps)

- roller perches (the new cheaper ones from drake, really nice. ride felt better but not as big a difference for me as some others got)

- bump steer kit (not the standard type, I went with PROMOTORSPORTS, looks wacky with wrap around safety device. felt the difference, more stable, think I read a comparison article that pushed me in that direction, worth the bigger $$ for my car anyway)

- solid strut arms (big big improvement for me, more than expected)

- this new zray crossmember support. no road feel difference, but soooo much stronger

- monte carlo bar, and quality shock tower brace. eh....looks good. car definitely feels stronger

- kyb shocks. dunno, they go up and down.

- stock sway bar. 15/16? moved mounts forward a bit since lower arms are adjusted with a little more caster. not much 3-4 degrees total I think, not 100% on number. (just before it would add serious wear on lower control arm bushings) sway bar is aligned nicely, adds no binding. may be kidding myself but think moving sway bar mounts helped improve that first 1" of travel/road feel.

- stock power steering, all hardware/bushings new or rebuilt. not perfect, but so far glad I skipped rack and pinion.

rock solid daily driver. feels better than most stangs I've been in lately.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Have to add to this thread. Just got my crossmember in today from Zray and am thrilled with it!! My 69 has adjustable motor mounts and a Milodon pan. I have the motor set as far back as possible and 1/2 drop. The crossmember fit perfectly! Maybe took me 10 minutes to install. How nice to have an aftermarket piece just fit and not need any altering. Thanks Z!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts