Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
6,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just a final post on my $150 Craigslist Recaro install in my '65. I'm really happy with how it turned out. As some of you recall, I posted here about different seat covering choices and decided to go with the vinyl bolsters with cloth weave inset. The reupholster did a flawless job and the $612 bill was very reasonable.

Anyway...I just love 'em. I'm looking forward to my next long drive in the car to really get a chance to try them out.

Phil

Attachments

·
6,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What style Recaro seats are they?
These are the Recaro LS seats that were sold back in the late 70's and early 80's. Back then recaro had a modest business making aftermarket replacement seats that went hand-in-hand with their much larger OEM business. These particular seats are a lot like the E21 seats used in some BMW's, but include an adjustable bolster support that the E21's never had.

When I was in college I would see ads for these in the back of Car & Driver. At the time, I was driving a Trans Am that had recaros (actually called the '83 Recaro Trans Am) and had previously driven my parents 1979 Mustang Pace Car that also had recaros. They are great seats. Not only are they comfortable, but they provide a lot of lateral support.

I had literally been looking for a set of these for YEARS so when they came up on CL, I jumped on them like a dog on red meat.

Phil

·
6,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I could not source recaro sliders, so I bought some SickSpeed universal ones off ebay and then had to seriously modify them. If you can get sliders designed for the seat that would be 100% better than what I did.

To fit the sliders I used, I had to use 1/2" aluminum spacers between the sliders and the seat bottom AND cut and weld in a section into the release lever to make it wider so it would fit the seats.

I welded up an adapter plate out of 1/4" steel that mounts between the sliders and the carpet. It has the studs at the factory locations to drop in like stock sliders do. This is a little different on a convertible, as the vert's have a higher seat pan than coupes or fastbacks. I mounted mine absolutely as low as possible, and I wish it would have been possible to go even lower. With the big diameter stock steering wheel, there is not a lot of thigh room.

So, anyway...metric bolts go through steel plate, then through 1/2" aluminum spacers, into factory holes in recaros. Then the whole shebang gets dropped into the floorboard where the studs welded into the steel plate stick down at the factory locations and use OEM nuts from underneath the car to secure.

Pics below.

Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Those look great, I bet there will be a few more folks looking all over for these type of seats.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks Your system is good. I have been leaning towards using the original sliders and fabing a frame like that. Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts