Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
I'm new here, from switzerland and just have bought a very nice restored GT390 '68 coupe. I' want to change the complete interior, upholstery, carpets etc. to black (the existing stuff is in very good condition but the pre-owner made it in grey and very thick because of his back problems).
Any good adresses where I can buy a complete high quality interior kit in black (in leather would be fine). best regards swiss

Attachments

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Those don't look like original Mustang seats. If you get upholstery for a Mustang it wouldn't fit those seats. After getting the proper seats I would look for a vendor that sells TMI upholstery and ACC carpet. There may be another good carpet manufacturer, but I don't recall the name. The original Mustang upholstery was vinyl, not leather. If you want leather you'd have to get it custom made.

Welcome to the forum.

Frank

·
Premium Member
7,915 Posts
Hi
I'm new here, from switzerland and just have bought a very nice restored GT390 '68 coupe. I' want to change the complete interior, upholstery, carpets etc. to black (the existing stuff is in very good condition but the pre-owner made it in grey and very thick because of his back problems).
Any good adresses where I can buy a complete high quality interior kit in black (in leather would be fine). best regards swiss

Hi,

I agree, you have non standard seats. Is the previous owner available to determine whose seats are in there? If you want leather, you're limited to either a custom upholsterer, or, as an upgrade kit if the car model is determined, in which, they were installed.
As mentioned, ACC might be a place to start regarding the carpet.
I had real leather seat coverings made for my 64.5 by Distinctive Industries in California. They made the original leather interiors for a number of the first original mustangs going to Ford execs.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Hi
Are you going to change to a deluxe interior? I have over $3K in parts in mine. $650 just in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want definitely the stock design back of the seats. Think I can live with vinyl.
Are TMI or ACC the premium manufactures for those stuff?

·
Premium Member
7,915 Posts
I want definitely the stock design back of the seats. Think I can live with vinyl.
Are TMI or ACC the premium manufactures for those stuff?
I think you will find them to be among the best in their fields. I would encourage you to request samples of the materials in which you are interested. I do believe Distinctive Industries can furnish interiors in vinyl, as well.
The following is quoted from a VMF poster "Whizco" in 1-03-2004:

"I do a lot of upholstery jobs at work, and sell a lot over the counter as well. I have access to both and have used both on restorations. I currently have a set of new Distinctive standard upholstery on a spare set of seats at home, before I decided to go with pony seats. So I upholstered another set of seats with TMI upholstery on these.

I've come to like the TMI better than the Distinctive as far as working with. It seems TMI gives you a little more material to work with. I didn't see to much of a difference in quality between the two, as they both looked good once done.

However the BIG differences I have found is not in the upholstery, but in the seat foam! Both Distinctive and TMI has their own foam. You would think that TMI's would be superior since their upholstery is a notch up on Distinctive, but actually it is worse.

TMI's seat foam is very firm, and once installed you will sit about 2" inches higher than normal in the seat. We did a customers car whom requested both TMI upholstery and seat foam. I am 5' 9" and when I sat in the car after it was finished, my head touched the new headliner. Mind you... It made me feel about 6' 3" while in the car. ::

The next upholstery job we did, I decided to try the Distinctive foam, and found it to be closer to the original foam which allowed you sit at a more normal height. With this in mind, I decided to do my own seats with TMI upholstery and Distinctive foam. This is my preference anyway, but if you are short and want to gain 2" inches in the driver's seat, TMI foam maybe for you!"
The poster was "Whizco" and dated 1-03-2004

Hope this provides additional insight.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Head rests were an option for 68. The 68 version was 2 posts like the buckets in your car. I have head rests in my 68, the bucket seats are actually low back standard 69.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts