Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19,979 Posts
From what I've read, they're very good. They weigh less and are easier on the cam. The rubbing between the two, only serves to polish the tappet.

I've only seen them for roller cams only.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
LOL....I'm still undecided on If I want hundreds of silicon fibers held together by plastic to have the chance to flow around my engine

G

·
0 Posts
It's been a few years, but I'll try to remember. These used to be one of those "unfair advantage" parts used in cost no object motors that had to meet the letter of the law, meaning no roller lifters. They weren't roller lifters but they used roller cam profiles giving the same advantage.
I don't recall exactly how much they cost,maybe $1500? Don't quote me on that, it was the first figure that popped into my head. Back then(1999) you had to buy them as a package. You sent them your cam, and they would have it coated.
There is a bit of "cool" factor to them, though. They feel like porcelain, but seem to weigh nothing! Spring rates could be lower to free up a little power.
That might be the one real benefit for a street motor, lower spring rates. Otherwise, rollers are "cheaper" and easier to obtain.
My thoughts,
Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts