Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if this could be done by getting everything out of the way so I can lower the upper arm all the way down, then jacking it up with a pry bar holding the spring onto the perch. I heard this is a good way but after having a look I don't think the arm will swing down low enough.

I originally had a cheap HF spring compressor and it crapped out. Will either buy one, rent one, or try with a jack. If this can't be done with a jack is there a decently priced spring compressor you can recommend. I started with HF so I guess anything else would make it easier. Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
There's a new post on here now about spring compressors. Probably on the 2nd page now.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Auto Zone has Free Rental of a spring compressor I just used one last weekend, paid 30 bucks, used it. returned it, got the 30 bucks back piece of cake

·
Registered
263 Posts
Are you a good welder? Or if not, do you have access to someone who is? If so, I would suggest building your own spring compressor. The 64-66 Mustang doesn't (easily) use the internal spring compressors, because there are part interferences. The external "claw" type are unsafe; I wouldn't go near them. I built what Daze recommends on his website. It requires a few simple parts, some welding, and it bolts into the existing parts to easily remove and install the spring.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just a note that the spring compressor design on the Daze page is a direct copy of a spring compressor that I have been building and selling for 25 years. The only difference is that I build the spring compressors from 1" O.D. x 1/4" wall square tubing, 1/4" plates and 3/4" ACME all-thread. 3/4" square tubing and 5/8" all-thread like Daze describes building IS NOT up to the task of compressing springs.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a note that the spring compressor design on the Daze page is a direct copy of a spring compressor that I have been building and selling for 25 years. The only difference is that I build the spring compressors from 1" O.D. x 1/4" wall square tubing, 1/4" plates and 3/4" ACME all-thread. 3/4" square tubing and 5/8" all-thread like Daze describes building IS NOT up to the task of compressing springs.

Is this your listing on Ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/65-73-Mustang-Shelby-Falcon-Coil-Spring-Compressor-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cb1c67dc8QQitemZ260680613320QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
263 Posts
Whoever designed it, it's a great design :thumbsup:. I can assure you, though, that Daze's design will safely compress the stock springs. I ran tests on a prototype I built back in 2008 when I had access to material testing equipment, and there were no failures during compression or decompression. I've also used it several times on my own car. Obviously if you are working with an aftermarket spring which has a much higher spring rate, you'd want something with more mass, like the one you built.

I'm curious on something. Daze's approach has the all-thread slip down into the square tube, but on your design the 3/4" all-thread would not fit into the 1" square tube with 1/4" walls, how do you weld the two pieces together?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Whoever designed it, it's a great design :thumbsup:. I can assure you, though, that Daze's design will safely compress the stock springs. I ran tests on a prototype I built back in 2008 when I had access to material testing equipment, and there were no failures during compression or decompression. I've also used it several times on my own car. Obviously if you are working with an aftermarket spring which has a much higher spring rate, you'd want something with more mass, like the one you built.

I'm curious on something. Daze's approach has the all-thread slip down into the square tube, but on your design the 3/4" all-thread would not fit into the 1" square tube with 1/4" walls, how do you weld the two pieces together?
Sorry, that was a typo, I use 1/8" wall square tube, and the threaded rod slips right in. The problem with the regular all thread is that it is very hard to get good quality all thread anymore, and alot of times the nuts get galled on the thread while you are halfway through a compressing job. The nut will not move either way, so what do you do at that point? I use the larger ACME thread to make sure that that does not happen.

·
Registered
362 Posts
That is the one I purchased from 'Falcon.' I have not tried it out yet. Have my roller spring perches but going with Opentrackers Lower and Upper Control Arms and plan on doing everything at once.

RME

·
Registered
35,897 Posts
I was wondering if this could be done by getting everything out of the way so I can lower the upper arm all the way down, then jacking it up with a pry bar holding the spring onto the perch. I heard this is a good way but after having a look I don't think the arm will swing down low enough.
It will not. I've spent a lotta time stripping wrecks, and even with the spindle removed, and the upper arm against the rail, the spring wll be under tension.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Fyi, make sure you get an actual internal spring compressor. The external types are for struts, and only meant to compress an inch or two. IF you do rent one from autozone or similar parts house, throw some grease on the threads before using, once tension builds up you will smoke the threads if left unlubed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fyi, make sure you get an actual internal spring compressor. The external types are for struts, and only meant to compress an inch or two. IF you do rent one from autozone or similar parts house, throw some grease on the threads before using, once tension builds up you will smoke the threads if left unlubed.
It worked much better than the HF I was using. I was able to comrpess and have it on there in 5 minutes w/ my 1/2 impact. It was a tight squeeze with spring insulator but with the perch loose it fit right on there. I was pretty excited til I realized I needed to put a load on the suspension to tighten the darn shocks...so I got frustrated and threw in the towel for the day.

This compressor isn't scary nor did it flinch one bit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts