Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After putting in a new timing belt and putting everything back the car wouldn’t start up not until we had played around with the timing for a while. Had the engine running for 10 mins and over heated. Then it wouldn’t start again.

Took a compression test today and here are the results. Is this valve timing still? Is the chain a tooth out as they say? Or should I be looking for a new engine?

I’m going to strip it back some tomorrow to get to the timing chain.

1967 mustang 289

Blue Handwriting Automotive tire Aircraft Font

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
Let’s start with the basics. How did you perform the compressions test?
Was the engine at operating temp?
Did you hold open the carb?

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

What is the current base timing? What is the timing when the advance is connected?

What was the condition of the balancer? It may be failing and slipped causing your timing readings to be incorrect.

how is it running not that you adjusted the timing?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just to double check. Did get #1 TDC and make sure the timing marks on the cam and crank lines up before removing and replacing the chain?

67 coupe, 289, performer intake, 302 heads, Holley 570, Pertronix II dizzy, C4, 9” rear, 3.50, 17” wheels

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to double check. Did get #1 TDC and make sure the timing marks on the cam and crank lines up before removing and replacing the chain?

67 coupe, 289, performer intake, 302 heads, Holley 570, Pertronix II dizzy, C4, 9” rear, 3.50, 17” wheels
The answer to that is no. I wasn’t aware that I had to do that. I am stripping it all back down today so this is something I will do

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let’s start with the basics. How did you perform the compressions test?
Was the engine at operating temp?
Did you hold open the carb?

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

What is the current base timing? What is the timing when the advance is connected?

What was the condition of the balancer? It may be failing and slipped causing your timing readings to be incorrect.

how is it running not that you adjusted the timing?
The engine was not up to temperature as I cannot get the engine running.

carb was open

Have not performed a vacuum leak test yet

balancer looks okay however I can’t tell if it is slipping or not? Should I replace this just in case?

the car was running before it overheated, timing was adjusted by getting TDC on 1 etc

·
Registered
952 Posts
A leakdown test would have been easier and provided you with a quick answer, but since you're tearing it down again, it's a non-issue.
Take your time and make sure the dots line up. Use a straight edge if you have to, to check alignment.
Then double-check before you close everything up.
The check again before you close everything up. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts