Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new laptop w/Windows 10 to replace my 10 year old PC running Windows 7. I want to keep all of my MS Office programs and Adobe (I don't like the new concept of paying an annual fee to use them, instead of a 1 time price). Anybody try ZInstall to transfer files and programs? I'm looking at buying a copy. But wanted to see if there are better options/software. Thoughts?

Spliffy

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I have not found anything that can reliably copy installed programs to a new pc. I always reinstall on the new machine. If you still have the installation discs you should be able to do this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
873 Posts
Make a list of all the programs and applications you use and download/install the latest versions onto your new win10 machine.

For individual files and such:
Create a “backup” folder and copy into it all your pictures, documents, files, favorites, and other stuff you want to keep. Then copy the backup folder onto a external USB hard drive or large USB thumb drive.

If you plan to discard the old computer, you should remove the hard drive and either:
a. Write zeros to the drive 3 times (lengthy process)
b. De-gauss the drive with a large magnet
c. Physically destroy the drive
Or
d. Just keep it somewhere safe where no one would steal it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Depending on what software you have on your old PC, download ProduKey from Nirsoft. I have used them for years as an IT professional and they are able to find keys up to Office 2013. What other programs do you have on the machine?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
At the gig we use Retrospect for backup and transfer and Acronis for cloning. If we are going from the current Win 10 version to the current Win 10 version we clone. If not we chose what to transfer from Retrospect.

If you’re installing new apps anyway an easier solution is to copy your home/user structure to a external drive and copy it back to the new computer once you’re done installing the software.

·
Registered
844 Posts
When I purchased my current Dell about 6 years ago it came with LapLink and transferred everything from my old computer to the new one over a cable. Don't know if that's still an option.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
When I purchased my current Dell about 6 years ago it came with LapLink and transferred everything from my old computer to the new one over a cable. Don't know if that's still an option.
Laplink? There‘s a blast from the past. IIRC that was the first one I used back in the day like 30 plus years ago before I started using real computers platforms other than Microsoft. :eek::D It came with the null modem serial cable too. Got it at the local Egghead in Santa Monica. Good times...

Just looked, it’s still around as PCMove. And still comes with a cable.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Laplink? There‘s a blast from the past. IIRC that was the first one I used back in the day like 30 plus years ago before I started using real computers platforms other than Microsoft. :eek::D It came with the null modem serial cable too. Got it at the local Egghead in Santa Monica. Good times...

Just looked, it’s still around as PCMove. And still comes with a cable.
What's funny is that I remember carrying around boxes of IBM punch cards and doing programing in Cobal and Fortran. Haven't touched that since post-college ('71). My roomie got his Ph.D. in computers and taught at Penn State. I'm happy with my old Word and Excel programs which do everything I could ever need, plus Quicken 17.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Depending on what software you have on your old PC, download ProduKey from Nirsoft. I have used them for years as an IT professional and they are able to find keys up to Office 2013. What other programs do you have on the machine?
Thanks. The Nirsoft thing worked. I found my product key on a card. But, the person that loaded it had bad handwriting. The card said to go to www.office.com/getkey for installation. It asks you to enter the product key to install. I typed in what the handwriting said and got rejected. Downloaded the Nirsoft and ran it and it gave me the key. What looked like a C should have been a G. Entered the code that popped up on Nirsoft and was able to download a copy of MS Office Professional 2010.

Now all that is left is moving some documents, pdf's, pictures, smaller programs, etc. I'll probably just grab a clean thumb drive or external drive for that. The MS Office was by biggest worry, since it is too big and too expensive and I know Mr. Softy wants you to pay for everything.

Thanks again!

Spliffy

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Make a list of all the programs and applications you use and download/install the latest versions onto your new win10 machine.

For individual files and such:
Create a “backup” folder and copy into it all your pictures, documents, files, favorites, and other stuff you want to keep. Then copy the backup folder onto a external USB hard drive or large USB thumb drive.

If you plan to discard the old computer, you should remove the hard drive and either:
a. Write zeros to the drive 3 times (lengthy process)
b. De-gauss the drive with a large magnet
c. Physically destroy the drive
Or
d. Just keep it somewhere safe where no one would steal it.
Thanks. I've replaced a couple drives in the past. I usually pull the drive, demagnetize, drown it in salt water for a day, then smash it.

Spliffy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts