Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This web site has attached itself to my homepage. I have been to the tools, and options, to reconfigure my homepage to be msn.com but this will not go away.

The web site is a search engine at

and also some spyware ad keeps popping up in the corner of my screen.

Can anyone help me get rid of this.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
You probably went to the wrong web site and now some malicious script/malware has hijacked your browser (which incidentally, I would almost bet money is internet explorer.....just about the only browser that catches STD's LOL).

I would run an up to date professional antivirus, spybot, and adaware.....even then, it might still be there.

I use netscape 7.1 for browsing the web AND EMAIL (so I dont have to use the POS outlook otherwise known as "welcome mat for viruses").

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
BTW....there was no point in linking that web URL....noone in their right mind is going to click that.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I'd try running adaware and spybot first.

Also, as a side note, since those annoying pop-ups seem to always find their way into your machine, install the smileys from smileycentral.com. It comes with a great little pop-up zapper that really works, and it's free as well.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't intend for anyone to click on the url, I was hoping someone has seen it before and new what to do. I have edited and removed it from the original post. I have tried search and destroy as well as adaware.

I'll update the down loads and try it again.

THanks

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Bob, this happened to me a while ago.... a search engine hijacked IE exploder and went to their home page on start up. Spybot and adware did not get rid of it for me. They hide something in the registry that Spybot etc. will not find. I went to the home page of the search engine and found the "click here to uninstall" ... went through a few more "are you sure you want to uninstall" messages and it eventually uninstalled itself.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Also dowload SpywareGuard.
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html
It will alert you to any program trying to hijack your brower homepage and allows you to accept or deny it.
It has worked a number of times for me.
The Google toolbar also has popup blocking.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I had a similar problem, neither Spybot nor Adaware could detect the hijack. Copy and past the address of the offending site into Google, and a few pages will probably show up with details on delousing your computer. Not fun but definitely worth doing.

Spam is yesterday's nuissance, we are now in the age of "data miners."

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I don't know what operating system you are using but I have been running a "Release Candidate" version of Win XP service pack 2. One of the features is a pop up blocker fully integrated into IE6 SP2. I have been running it for a couple months and it does a good job of knocking back the pop ups - even MSN's pop ups.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I don't know what operating system you are using but I have been running a "Release Candidate" version of Win XP service pack 2.

A lot of IT pros are recommending against getting SP2 yet....lotta problems. Glad it's working for you.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I use netscape 7.1 for browsing the web AND EMAIL (so I dont have to use the POS outlook otherwise known as "welcome mat for viruses").
We have a family, home and corporate ban on Outlook, which eliminates about 95% of virus and trojan problems all by itself. However, I highly recommend Eudora Pro as a very powerful email program that makes Netscape's woosie little tool look sick (old meaning).

It's free if you don't mind a little ad square in one corner. I loathe adware, and it's never bothered me yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts