Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran a want ad about a week ago wanting to buy some Magnum 400 wheels. A day or so later I received an email that stated the following:

Hi sleeton,my friend from vintage forum told me you need magnum 400 wheels if you are still interested get back me.

Thanks
Wyatt

We continued to communicate and he sent me a few pics of the wheels. We made a deal and I told him I would send money on paypal but he told me his paypal account had been hacked. Advised me his wife worked close to a Walmart and that he could send me a link and send her the money. He text me a link and I went to walmart and used my credit card to send him the money. Over the next few days he told me he had received the money but the money had a hold on it. I told him that made no sense as the credit card transaction had been approved and the money would be available. I went back to walmart and walmart told me to have the seller contact a number that walmart gave me to clear the issue up. I sent the seller the info and hours later he contacted me and said the money had cleared. But, he then told me that he needed an additional $85 as I had already sent him $460 as he stated things happen. He and I went back and forth and I told him I would not pay him any additional money but to instead refund me my money. He continued to go on and on about trust and circumstances changing and that I should just send him the additional money but I again told him I would not and to refund me the money. He eventually told me he would refund me the money and to go to walmart to find out how to do the refund. I went to walmart and asked them how to do the refund and walmart told me to have the seller do a walmart to walmart payment and to send me the reference code and the money would be refunded back to me. I sent all this information to the seller and I have not heard a single thing back from the seller yesterday or today and when I called the seller there was no response. Although he does not usually answer the phone, once I call him he will usually text me over and over again and now he is quiet as a mouse.

Now this morning, on 7/13/20 at 8:45am the seller contacted me and demanded that I send him $85 so we could resolve this. I told him I would not send him anymore money as he has already ripped me off for the $460. I told him to send me a refund and after some bantering back and forth he told me I had a balance due of $85 and he would NOT refund my money and told me to leave him alone.

The number he texts me at is 985-243-3361

He emailed me from this email address [email protected]

Upon doing a google search on the telephone number, this is what comes up

·
Registered
471 Posts
DAMN! A similar thing ALMOST happened to me regarding a Mustang auto trans.
Fellow from TN contacted me ref my Craigslist ad wanting an AODE trans.
He ALSO said his PayPal was hacked, and to send money via Walmart.
I was at Walmart getting ready to send $400, and the WalM clerk said "Do you know this guy, and are you sure you want to send the money".
Since he told me he was parked outside the UPS store with the trans ready to ship, I told him to put the UPS clerk on the line, JUST SO I COULD BE SURE IT WAS BEING SHIPPED.
He told me the clerk was busy. I said I would wait. I called back in 30 minutes, and he said the clerk was operating a forklift. I said walk over there and hand him the phone.
I could tell he was just getting one of his buddies to talk to me -- it was an ignorant HS dropout who answered -- he couldn't even tell me the UPS Store number.
Luckily I didn't send the money.

I did call his local police station and told them this guy's name and address, and that I was sure he was pulling this scam many times over.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Money cards, PayPal friends and family, cash transfer, etc. are an absolute 100.0% non-starter for me. That's like sending cash in an envelope and not even knowing where you sent it. If the person doesn't deliver you have zero recourse, and you don't even know where the person actually is so you can't track them down, call the cops, visit in person, etc.

There is only ONE WAY that I will ever pay anyone by any means that can't be canceled or retracted. You have the stuff I want in your hand, I have money, we meet in person, and I am confident that you aren't selling me stolen or broken stuff.

Period.

Anything else reeks of scam, and no amount of begging, cajoling, or whining makes a difference. If you're too cheap to pay the PayPal fees, then I'll offer to cover it IF it's something I want enough to pay the extra. Otherwise there's no recourse.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Sleeton, sorry about your wheel issue. For me personally, I'd only hand over that amount of money on a face-to-face transaction. On lesser amounts I use any process that allows a money back guarantee.

·
Dimples
4,658 Posts
I've done deals on here with members before and haven't been bitten, but when folks have been here for a while, they have a reputation to protect, so it's a bit more assurance that you're not getting scammed. In those cases, I used Zelle to transfer money and it worked out fine.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Man, that sucks. Over on the Porsche forums there was a period of these types of scams happening- an IM asking you contact a third party, then the wiring of money through Walmart or Western Union instead of paypal. Be vigilant. If people are asking you to do something outside of the norms, trust your gut and walk away.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Another consideration: DO NOT use Google Pay or Venmo to pay for anything unless you personally know the recipient. These are money transferring services, and even if you use a credit card to make your payment they will do absolutely NOTHING to return your money if you're a victim of fraud.

I recently went through a similar purchase experience where the seller wouldn't take PayPal or any other service that provides buyer protection. I sent payment using Google Pay, which the fraudster claimed had a hold on it. Once I figured out I was being scammed I asked him to return the money, and of course I never got a reply. I contacted Google for support. They told me that since there was no system error on their part, they couldn't help me, either. I tried to dispute the charge with my credit card company, and they denied the claim. The funny thing is that if you read the terms of service for Google products like Pay and Gmail, it says that they can't be used to commit criminal acts. The Google support team didn't acknowledge that point during my conversation with them. Finally, I submitted a complaint to Google about the Gmail address being used to commit online fraud. That complaint was never acknowledged. As always, buyer beware.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I use paypal only, and maybe I'm getting to old because a lot of people selling on facebook want to use venmo or some other crap and I won't do it. Its paypal or nothing for me.

Also what are Magnum 400's? I've seen that written twice in your post so I assume its not just a typo, is that 4 lug 500's?

·
Super Moderator
9,746 Posts
Call your credit card company and explain you have been a victim of fraud. Hopefully they will work with you.
That’s what I was thinking.

Usually the charges can be reversed, maybe this was some type of Counter to Counter pick up?

Surely they had to supply ID and maybe the pick up was on a security camera,.....

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
damn, sucks to hear this. a few sh!t people ruin it for everyone.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I was PM'd by someone called Joel60 regarding a want ad I have for a distributor. He joined 3 days ago, started a conversation with me asking me to contact someone at this email :
[email protected]
and then closed the conversation .
I did email that person but have not heard back
I do not think I will pursue this any further...

·
Registered
815 Posts
Dang Sleeton,
I know, no amount of sorry's will bring back your money, but I hope your credit card company will help you and this POS gets the Karma he deserves. Can you file a police report?
Rick

·
Spammer Hammer
9,654 Posts
NO!!! Do NOT respond to any new member that says email or call a person at some other email or number. We have seen this multiple times. I have banned several for attempting this. It has been proven to be fraudulent the majority of the time. As has been said, long time members of new’ish members with many posts have somewhat been vetted. However, still proceed with caution. I was in a similar situation a couple years ago with a longstanding member that was selling a very expensive set of front front brakes. Since he had been a member here with many contributions, I proceeded with the transaction. Risky yes, but it worked out.

So please, if you see this type of activity or posts, report them to us so we may try and prevent this from happening.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Hey I got a set for sale, just send me the money and i will get them in the mail. :)

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have posted some WTB ads and every time there's a POS contacting me usually (for me) they are the first to respond to my ad. Usually they have very low posts which is my first red flag, misspelled words, another flag then I look at their profile. By that time I contact an Administrator and he's pretty much removed and or banned (Thanks Administrators). I use Paypal but I never use the friend or family button, IMO, if your selling you can afford the small fees. I want some sort of insurance in case it goes south quick.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I use paypal only, and maybe I'm getting to old because a lot of people selling on facebook want to use venmo or some other crap and I won't do it. Its paypal or nothing for me.

Also what are Magnum 400's? I've seen that written twice in your post so I assume its not just a typo, is that 4 lug 500's?

yes that is pretty much what Magnum 400's are, 4 lug Magnum 500 that can be used with 6 cylinder mustangs etc

1 - 20 of 77 Posts