Vintage Mustang Forums banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,320 Posts
Sorry to hear about your rip. I had a guy send me a cashiers check which included the shipping cost and fees. The scammer wanted me to ship ship an engine to him at an overseas location but the catch was that I had to wire the money to his shipper which included shipping, import duties and taxes which amounted to an amount equal to the cost that I was selling the engine for. The shipper would then come and get the engine, pack it and prepare it for export. I got suspicious because when I tracked the FEXEX envelope that the check came in it originated in Texas. I hadn't cashed the check at my bank as instructed. Turned out after calling the bank the check was drawn on it was bogus, The scammer emailed me ranting that I hadn't contacted his shipper. I simply told him that I was in Hawaii on vacation and I had no engine to sell, that he got scammed. Got a number of threatening emails from him and a few calls on my magicJack phone number which I would say thanks for funding my vacation, I turned the check over to the local police.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OP. Sorry to hear you got burned. Hopefully credit card company will do you right, but that may not happen. I've been doing online sells and buys for 20 years. The "pick whatever is hacked use something else" is a classic funnel to get you into their world. PayPal, for me, has been the absolute safest way to send and receive money. I have NEVER been permanently burnt using PayPal. If you don't know the person well, never use venmo, zelle, western union, etc. And PayPal should never take money out of your account for fees. At least not in my 20 years. I usually get an extra 40 to 50 bucks added to my account every month in "cash back". Of course, I have a low "cred" here on this forum. I haven't contributed much. (Or any maybe, no idea what my post count is. Could be exactly one after this post) My old cars are sitting on the back burner right now. Anyway, I hope op gets money back. Unfortunately, the scum bags lose nothing. They've got hundreds on the hook at any time.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
OP. Sorry to hear you got burned. Hopefully credit card company will do you right, but that may not happen. I've been doing online sells and buys for 20 years. The "pick whatever is hacked use something else" is a classic funnel to get you into their world. PayPal, for me, has been the absolute safest way to send and receive money. I have NEVER been permanently burnt using PayPal. If you don't know the person well, never use venmo, zelle, western union, etc. And PayPal should never take money out of your account for fees. At least not in my 20 years. I usually get an extra 40 to 50 bucks added to my account every month in "cash back". Of course, I have a low "cred" here on this forum. I haven't contributed much. (Or any maybe, no idea what my post count is. Could be exactly one after this post) My old cars are sitting on the back burner right now. Anyway, I hope op gets money back. Unfortunately, the scum bags lose nothing. They've got hundreds on the hook at any time.
You're at 1. So far, you seem like a nice guy :) Welcome!

Reactions: BigKoppa

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I might have some 4 lug, 14” slots that could polish up. I also have some 13” slots too. One set is deep dish in the rear, but my sons is currently using these for rollers...

Thanks but my heart is set on the Magnum 400 wheels, like the way they look and have the car for them now so it is a learning lesson but I will eventually obtain the wheels

·
Premium Member
10,868 Posts
I only do paypal so I have the buyer protection plan. If the seller will not do paypal I will not buy except in person.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Paypal is good, but WATCH the terms.

Scam: You have something for sale. Buyer is local. Price is $1500. Buyer pays through paypal, but is concerned about shipping it 12 miles, so he comes and picks it up. You verify it is him from his driver's license. 6 weeks later, paypal notifies you of a dispute. Owner of the account says he never authorized the charge. You say he picked it up and you even have a photo of his Driver's license. Paypal asks for tracking, you have none. Paypal terms say you need tracking and acceptance receipt.

You have nothing. Paypal takes back the $$. You contact police. Driver's license is a fake, and it is a civil issue, police make tidy report and recommend you file in civil court, but you have no idea who actually took your stuff.

School of hard knocks graduates another person.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I have had many questions about the Magnum 400 Wheels, here is a picture of a Magnum 400 Wheel for clarity. It is a 4 Lug version of the Magnum 500 made by Legendary

Attachments

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Money cards, PayPal friends and family, cash transfer, etc. are an absolute 100.0% non-starter for me. That's like sending cash in an envelope and not even knowing where you sent it. If the person doesn't deliver you have zero recourse, and you don't even know where the person actually is so you can't track them down, call the cops, visit in person, etc.

There is only ONE WAY that I will ever pay anyone by any means that can't be canceled or retracted. You have the stuff I want in your hand, I have money, we meet in person, and I am confident that you aren't selling me stolen or broken stuff.

Period.

Anything else reeks of scam, and no amount of begging, cajoling, or whining makes a difference. If you're too cheap to pay the PayPal fees, then I'll offer to cover it IF it's something I want enough to pay the extra. Otherwise there's no recourse.
It's not about being too cheap to pay the fees, most of the time the buyer has already bargained the price down so why should the seller take another 3-4% price reduction on the part? Paypal is there for the buyers convenience, been selling stuff and taking checks and money orders for 25+ years.

·
Registered
279 Posts
It's not about being too cheap to pay the fees, most of the time the buyer has already bargained the price down so why should the seller take another 3-4% price reduction on the part? Paypal is there for the buyers convenience, been selling stuff and taking checks and money orders for 25+ years.
My point was that SOMEONE needs to pay the PayPal fees if you're going to use PayPal for the convenience factor. Trying to avoid the fee by using the "send money to a friend" just ensures that if they're not REALLY a friend, you're screwed as far as getting your money back. PayPal's fees pay for their service as well as the ability to get your money back when someone doesn't hold up their end of the bargain.

So it IS about being too cheap to pay the fees. Either the seller pays them, or the buyer includes enough to cover them... or there's no recourse.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Did those 400s or something similar come on the mustang II’s or something? I seem to remember them on those cars?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I bought a pair of 85GT valve covers off Gainesville CL. Paid with Paypal and they shipped Monday, arrived today. Plenty of honest people out there, to bad a few rotten apples spoil the whole basket.

·
Registered
36 Posts
sorry that this happened to you. this is interstate criminal activity and this guy needs to be busted......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like a similar story I have..... Just got contacted by a guy in Houma, La. area code 785 in response to an want ad I posted on another web site. "Looking for stock/mild performance SBF" My ad specifically stated wanted something local here in or near me in Wi. Sent me a random picture of a completely dressed out 347 stroker motor sitting on an egine stand. Looked like a cropped catalogue picture to me. $7995.00 included with shipping. Told him I was not interested now he has another friend with a stock rebuild. So I guess I buy an engine sight unseen,not running with no build sheet from machine shop SCAM SCAM Creeps

·
Registered
342 Posts
Be aware - this is a current and HOT scam across quite a few forums... I’m cross linking a thread from another forum I belong to where a member was just ripped off in the same exact manner for Mustang wheels:

I posted this on the other site and will post it here too...

BE AWARE -

This seems to be a very current scam now with automotive parts - more so - wheels, which net a higher end $$$ to the scammer...and using an online or App “pay through” service.

I would suggest that if you’re seeking to buy high end Mustang parts that have to be SHIPPED that everyone thoroughly vet out the seller and don’t send ANY money at all until you can confirm that the parts being sold are LEGIT to that Seller.

Remember - ANYONE can send a pic of parts claiming it’s theirs.

Ask the seller to write something on paper with a date and show it in the image WITH the parts - OR something to that effect.

Ask unique questions about his/her location, or geographic surroundings that only that person would know if they lived in that exact area.

If the email address has random alpha and numeric characters in it that don’t make any sense and is from a “freebie” Search Engine Provider rather than a direct Internet Service Provider - be wary of that seller. There are also services and apps that will auto generate a fake email address to hide an original email address - so if it’s an auto generated email, in most instances if you were to search it via Google you won’t get any prior history hits - be cautious!!

If the Seller is on a Forum, check their Post Counts and their Post Content! If they are a brand new user AND their first post is selling parts - be very aware. Again search their user ID or email across Google and see if they have any prior online activity anywhere... If NOT, be cautious!

If the seller provides info GOOGLE their info:
Name
Address
Geographic Location
Email address
Forum or supplied User ID

If the Seller insists on completing a transaction through an online or App pay source - and won’t give you any further info other than an email address - BE CAUTIOUS, that’s a red flag!

Usually if the seller is one who’s been around, all of the above can be found via a Google search AND will in most cases match their identity given to complete a transaction.

If the seller is coming off by saying “I don’t have the wheels (or x-part) but a friend or associate does and I can put you in contact” - that is a RED FLAG as it seems to be the “MO” for this type of scam. Either the Seller is setting it up as a dual transaction by being the “finder” and matching you with the “seller” who will then complete the scam - OR the seller is one in the same as the finder and end scammer making it to look like they have a friend or associate when they really do not.

Pass the info along folks - this scam seems to be HOT right now on many forums and none of the emails being used are matching, so these scammers are using random email addresses to bait, hook and steal your money!

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,456 Posts
Unfortunately the type of people to fall for such things never seem to be the same types that read such warnings. Seriously. Like those folks who refuse to ask directions or look at included assembly instructions. Nothing we can do about such I'm afraid.

Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I am always looking for encloseed trailers for my cars and have noticed numerous for sale scams where the scammer/seller uses a gmail account with a female name and puts the contact info with the picture of a underpriced trailer in the add itself and when i spot them i flag them

61 - 77 of 77 Posts