Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Concours Driven?

1732 Views 16 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  66kgt
When I attended last years Grand National I was confronted at sign in by a member trying to convince me to consider bumping my car to the "Concours Driven" class. It's something I had never really considered but I have since looked through the rules and I have a few questions.

What kind of deduction would I get for the glove box CD player?
I currently have 14X7 SS wheels with white letter tires. Would I need to revert to 14X5's or can I keep these and maybe install black wall tires?
I have SSBC power front disc's... is there a deduction for that?
Finally, it has aftermarket dual exhaust with turn downs behind the valance. Is this something they look hard at?

Thanks.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums/photopost486/data/500/21520Eng_Comp-med.jpg
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
You might lose a point or 2 for the CD player, depending on what other mods were visible. The SS wheel size might fool some judges, but most likely not. Expect to have up to 5 points deducted for the wheels. If you have blackwall tires, they need to be a comparable size to original like 185 or 195 14's. You would probably lose up to 5 or more points for the aftermarket disc brake setup. The dual exhaust would have to have stock type mufflers and resonators to be accepted. Since the car is not an original GT or K code, there is some flexibility since any dual exhaust system installed on non-GT/K code would be dealer installed.

The idea of concours is to have the car looking as close as possible to when it was delivered new. A cursory look at your engine bay tells me you've kept the overall original appearance going, but there are some fine details lacking. Mostly with parts/fastener finishes.

· Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, 12 points plus the exhaust before I even register. I suppose I could run the original 5" steel rims with a nice cover for 5 of those points (SSBC said only the 7" rims would fit with their brakes but I tested one of my steel rims for winter storage and they seem to work fine although I have yet to drive with them). The other mods are staying put because, quite simply, I enjoy driving more than anything.

Come to think of it, I also have an extra wire running to my coil for the Pertronix. I suppose I'd get a reduction for that, too? Maybe that kind of point deduction isn't quite so bad, I don't know.

How do the points break down in relation to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rating?

G

·
Yes, you'd probably lose a point for petronix too. Concours is there for owners that want their car to be as close to original as possible. MCA allows certain safety improvements for driven concours, like radial tires, halogen headlights and dual reservoir master cylinders.

There is no 1st/2nd/3rd in concours, it's Gold/Silver/Bronze. The point breakdown for concours driven is 95% Gold, 85% Silver, 75% Bronze, based on 700 points.

· Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't put it totally out of my mind, yet. Is there literature somewhere that points out those details needed for the Concours classes that's not on the MCA site?

On somewhat the same topic (while it's on my mind)... I'd like to take this time to thank Charles publicly for helping me out years ago with the many questions I had when reassembling portions of my fb.

· Administrator
19,382 Posts
The problem is you can lose those 35 points very quickly on condition and quality items.

· Registered
990 Posts
The problem is you can lose those 35 points very quickly on condition and quality items.
Very true, but who says you have to get a Gold (or anything) the first time out... I think it would be worth it just for the learning experience!

· Registered
247 Posts
I agree, go for it and see how you do. You will get an inventory of the items that would require work. That is what I did when I attended my first national show in 2003. I learned a lot and many things I got deductions for were easy to correct. I now have a cushion for condition deductions.

· Administrator
19,382 Posts
My first concours attempt was at the Mustang Grand National in 1997, where it earned a Bronze (1997). In 1998, my coupe earned a Silver at our Tucson National, and in 1999, it hit Gold at the Houston Grand National. You improve with each judging sheet, as long as the judges are giving you an honest assessement and not what was done to me at three shows. If that does happen, you ignore those sheets and concentrate on the others. Just use your judging sheets as a guide.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.