Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we are off season I thought I would float the idea of doing some practice judging here.

The plan (as of now)

1- Post pictures from a particular car (We in no way will provide who owns, the VIN or any details about the car- if know. It's not about picking apart a particular car its about learning!!!!!)

2- Post a different year & model every two weeks.

3- Will determine a method of those playing to send in what you would deduct for - off thread.

4- The post a response to the group of what was found.

5- Would start after the first of the year.

A copy of the MCA rules might be handy ;)

Maybe this will stimulate some of you to get your Judging Certificate, better prepare you car and get you out to help judge at a show this year. Its not rocket science ... look at us ;)

Input, interest, ideas - Would this have some value to some of you??

Have plenty to do :eek: just thought it might be fun.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I think its a cool very cool idea!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I like the idea. I've been hoping to post pictures of my 'vert as it comes together for comments (yeah, my skin is fairly thick), but I don't think it would ever work for an anonymous suggestion.
Are you planning to cycle years? Some of use "specialize" in some years moreso than others.

Carl

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I think that's a great idea and I would like to take part in it. A couple of questions:

- Is 2 weeks too much time between new postings?

- Would you only post one type of car every 2 weeks, or would you post one example of each different model (i.e. 65-66, 67-68, 69-70, etc.) every 2 weeks? I ask this because I know a little about the 65-66 cars, but I'm pretty clueless about the details of later cars. Since the MCA judging classes are broken down by these years, should there be comparable examples in each of your postings?

Again, Jeff, I think you've got a great idea to liven up the winter doldrums.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I would be interested, but I am pretty much stupid about any year but 69/70. I think it is a great idea, especially since I am trying to get my gold card.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
sounds like a great idea. I don't know much yet about judging and deducting points but i would love to read through the results. The only issue is it may be hard to tell a lot of the details from pictures. You would almost need 20 pictures of the car.

·
Administrator
19,528 Posts
I'd like to play, too. A little practice never hurts and I often have to judge 65-66s and 69-70s at the regional shows. I've even had to do a Shelby class twice. :confused:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I'm game, I was planning on helping judge this year at least once... :roflao:

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Cool idea, great learning tool too! I think it would not only help folks with being judges, but help would also help those being judged. Kinda give us folks working on their cars a "finer points" primer. Let the games begin!

·
Vendor
4,221 Posts
Cool idea, but it's incomplete... You've got the technical-side down, but you're forgetting the style-points...

To be a top-line judge, you've gotta combine point-deductions with carefully coordinated grimaces and slight shakes of the head, and a full repertoire of postures and body-language...

Always keeping the car owner in the dark, paranoid, on pins and needles... Not showing your hand or looking dazed when you're truly looking at a work of absolute perfection... the correct use of that soft-mumble relaying numerous deductions to the clip-board-jockey...

I want to see some good judging-face pictures!! ;) ;) :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
Can't forget that portion of the judging!!

I think this is a great use of this bandwidth. And may help those on a fence to get out there from behind this screen and actually attend/judge at at real show. Great idea.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Count me in as well. Though I only know about 69/70 cars, I do have the judging rules so it might be interesting to give the other years a try.

Seems like this could turn in to a lot of work for you. Would it be easier just to have people send in their list of incorrect items ?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sounds like a great idea. Some of us newbies to the hobby should gain a lot of knowledge and understanding from these excersies as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Another great post by Jeff....I am in.
The very least any of us will get out of this is the flow of blood to the brain normally associated with other activities.

Will there be some sort of "judging" on the judging we are doing?
What about Prizes? everyone loves prizes!
How about at the end we have the best "judge" have a dance with that cute avatar (fast68back)?
Mike

1 - 20 of 23 Posts