Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Mustang Caspian blue coup, disc brakes, equaloc rear, power steering, 289 auto >100k born Nov 64
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design
Musical instrument Skateboard Guitar accessory String instrument String instrument accessory
Question to the concours folks. I know you have a better understanding than I, so I’m going to ask the experts.
I have a numbers matching nov 65. My original rear view mirror is a bit corroded from nicotine and time. I tried to get it back by shining the heck out of of it but, after 2 days heck with it. Ordered a “Scott Drake” mirror as a replacement. The Drake mirror has some subtle differences. One being the lack of a “R” next to the logo and the other being a different size “hump” next to the logo. Is this the correct replacement ie. Concours or is it well…a replacement….please advise.

·
Registered
65 Mustang Caspian blue coup, disc brakes, equaloc rear, power steering, 289 auto >100k born Nov 64
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
View attachment 811898 View attachment 811899 Question to the concours folks. I know you have a better understanding than I, so I’m going to ask the experts.
I have a numbers matching nov 65. My original rear view mirror is a bit corroded from nicotine and time. I tried to get it back by shining the heck out of of it but, after 2 days heck with it. Ordered a “Scott Drake” mirror as a replacement. The Drake mirror has some subtle differences. One being the lack of a “R” next to the logo and the other being a different size “hump” next to the logo. Is this the correct replacement ie. Concours or is it well…a replacement….please advise.
One more thing. The edges are a different angle.
Everyday carry Natural material Electric blue Fashion accessory Metal

·
Premium Member
8,233 Posts
This is what I mean.
Why can't they just make the damned parts right instead of what they think is just good enough?
Good Sir, I would return the Scrap Drake and contunue to recondition my original.
Perhaps you could carefully paint the plastic Day / Nite tabs white if the nicotine/tar won't come off.
At least until you run across a better or NOS original.

Reactions: Short Time

·
Premium Member
1967 Sports Sprint Convertible | 289 | C4
38 Posts
Were they claiming to be the same / concours? Usually from what I’ve seen Scott drake doesnt claim to be correct, and if they didn’t claim that then I don’t understand the hate for the product as it looks nice.
(Again want to stress that opinion is contingent on them not making a claim of original style)

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
I would keep it, install it and continue to work on the original, or have the original refurbished.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is what I mean.
Why can't they just make the damned parts right instead of what they think is just good enough?
Good Sir, I would return the Scrap Drake and contunue to recondition my original.
Perhaps you could carefully paint the plastic Day / Nite tabs white if the nicotine/tar won't come off.
I was wondering, if taking the original to a machine shop to have it buffed and living with it. Even the metal feels better than the Drake. Thank you for the input.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Were they claiming to be the same / concours? Usually from what I’ve seen Scott drake doesnt claim to be correct, and if they didn’t claim that then I don’t understand the hate for the product as it looks nice.
(Again want to stress that opinion is contingent on them not making a claim of original style)
You make a valid point. I won’t bash the vendor. So the advertisement stated correct “FOMOCO” stamp only. So I guess it was my interpretation. My understanding is if a part states correct “FOMOCO” stamp, it was considered a registered trademark. Therefore, correct as in concours?
Brings me back to my original question Inunderstand

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Apologies I fat fingered the last response.
Brings ne back to the question: What is concours? Is that trying to find NOS?

·
Premium Member
1967 Sports Sprint Convertible | 289 | C4
38 Posts
Apologies I fat fingered the last response.
Brings ne back to the question: What is concours? Is that trying to find NOS?
My understanding is that concours is the “correct” as in accurate reproduction. but the ford trademark that Scott Drake has is nothing more than permission to have the ford logo on the product and does not guarantee concours reproduction

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My understanding is that concours is the “correct” as in accurate reproduction and the ford trademark that Scott Drake has, is nothing more than permission (maybe) to have the ford logo on the product and does not guarantee concours reproduction?
So it’s buyer beware. Even with vendors advertising concours reproductions?
Ok, so where in the hell do I find a concours reproduction for any 65 part? Is there a company that specializes or does one keep searching ebay for NOS and play the hit or miss game…

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is what I mean.
You are so right in so many aspects!

·
Premium Member
8,233 Posts
Fine, leave off the (R) , just bend/stamp stuff correctly in materials that aren't paper thin and plate them when applicable with enough nickel and chrome that it doesn't spider or peel in less than a year when 56-year-old original stuff is still holding on...I'd gladly pay more once for better parts than to have to swap junk out after 91 days...

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Fine, leave off the (R) , just bend/stamp stuff correctly in materials that aren't paper thin and plate them when applicable with enough nickel and chrome that it doesn't spider or peel in less than a year when 56-year-old original stuff is still holding on...I'd gladly pay more once for better parts than to have to swap junk out after 91 days...
Unfortunately most people always go for the cheaper part so that drives manufactures to cut every corner they can. 9 out of 10 Mustang owners would never notice or care about those slight differences as long as the mirror looks good and works. They may regret it in a year or two if it doesn’t hold up. I have found I never regret buying quality, but I often regret not buying it.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
From the pictures and the amount of time agonizing over a the mirror, plus calling a Mustang a Chevrolet (Mustangs of that year are never numbers matching, as there were not the numbers that numbers matching refers to), you will not be happy unless it is a TRUE NOS part. The mirror in question does NOT state it is a concours type mirror, as opposed to the twist knob style mirror. It states in the description that is it "like" the original, not exactly the same.

IMHO, having owned Mustangs since 1969, I would never shop at Scott Drake for a Thoroughbred level part, only NOS or flawless original parts would be used. Scott Drake, having been a dealer back in the 1980's and 1990's was all about getting good, not Thoroughbred level level parts out at a cost that Joe Average could afford. While some of the parts are junky, we have the freedom to buy or not buy, as opposed to other makes models where there is no aftermarket part and no used or NOS left.

Compare to even the kissing cousin Falcon

Random comparison, just on a couple of parts for a 1965

Mustang................. Falcon

Roof Rail $26.49.......................$248.85
Door Seals $27.49 (set of 2.........$203.99 (set of 4)
Front Bumper $129...........................$406
Front Rear Upholstery $209...................$882

Sorry for the dots, it keeps on slamming the numbers together without them.

When a person who has restored Mustangs tries to restore a Falcon, they are horrified at the prices and lack of parts.

When a person who has restored Falcons tries to restore a Mustang, they think they have died and gone to heaven.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From the pictures and the amount of time agonizing over a the mirror, plus calling a Mustang a Chevrolet (Mustangs of that year are never numbers matching, as there were not the numbers that numbers matching refers to), you will not be happy unless it is a TRUE NOS part. The mirror in question does NOT state it is a concours type mirror, as opposed to the twist knob style mirror. It states in the description that is it "like" the original, not exactly the same.

IMHO, having owned Mustangs since 1969, I would never shop at Scott Drake for a Thoroughbred level part, only NOS or flawless original parts would be used. Scott Drake, having been a dealer back in the 1980's and 1990's was all about getting good, not Thoroughbred level level parts out at a cost that Joe Average could afford. While some of the parts are junky, we have the freedom to buy or not buy, as opposed to other makes models where there is no aftermarket part and no used or NOS left.

Compare to even the kissing cousin Falcon

Random comparison, just on a couple of parts for a 1965

Mustang................. Falcon

Roof Rail $26.49.......................$248.85
Door Seals $27.49 (set of 2.........$203.99 (set of 4)
Front Bumper $129...........................$406
Front Rear Upholstery $209...................$882

Sorry for the dots, it keeps on slamming the numbers together without them.

When a person who has restored Mustangs tries to restore a Falcon, they are horrified at the prices and lack of parts.

When a person who has restored Falcons tries to restore a Mustang, they think they have died and gone to heaven.
I think your statement was some great wisdom.

·
Premium Member
8,233 Posts
I always try to find NOS or a very nice original --whatever-- before I buy any part. Sometimes even NOS stuff will have shelf wear, box wear, or some chrome pits with age. My driven car is far from perfect but it's just as far from a rolling defect of clearance rack Chinese parts. I've already been down that road.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts