Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, on building a concours car, does this mean that the car needs to appear just as the original bill of sale says it was sold with ?
Or can accessories from Ford be added such as a different style of wheel or stripe kit.
I have the original bill of sale to go off of.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
As long as your accessories were available at the time of vehicle delivery and are original Ford, they are acceptable. They do not have to be what is on the original window sticker, unless you're planning on displaying the window sticker. Then, I would stick to that list of options.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys, I have a very rare Mustang E' I have the sales receipt no window sticker from Marti Autoworks. I am not fond of hubcaps and was considering another type of wheel. Thanks

·
Registered
9,918 Posts
There has been a recent shift to a "as first delivered to the customer" train of thinking. So, beware. I do not share it, but I also don't judge every car. As far as different wheels go, if you are not entering a MCA Concours Trailered type of judging, (or AACA), put on a wheel from the same year product

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
There has been a recent shift to a "as first delivered to the customer" train of thinking. So, beware. I do not share it, but I also don't judge every car. As far as different wheels go, if you are not entering a MCA Concours Trailered type of judging, (or AACA), put on a wheel from the same year product
You can put whatever wheel option on your MCA concours trailered Mustang you want as long as it was available for the year of production for a Mustang last time I checked rules.

·
Registered
9,918 Posts
Read between the lines where the judges hang out. The 65/66 cars have no Marti reports or Ford 999 available. The years newer, meaning 1967 and newer, the judges want to see the Marti report. What would they check for? What it was built with...including the wheels.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was figuring the Marti report would be what would decide in the end. The report just says wheel covers. I guess I have a choice of the five sectioned caps or the wire caps. I have been considering the gt style wheel with the plain center caps. Painting the wheel the body color then installing the individual chrome inserts into each of the holes. The car is very plain. I am lucky enough to have Silver Jade as the color though.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Read between the lines where the judges hang out. The 65/66 cars have no Marti reports or Ford 999 available. The years newer, meaning 1967 and newer, the judges want to see the Marti report. What would they check for? What it was built with...including the wheels.
Division I – Concours Trailered 1964 1⁄2 – 2002
* Car as it was delivered to the original owner without modifications
* Reproduction parts are acceptable for restoration as long as they fit, look and function like
the original OEM parts
* Ford factory accessories or accessories advertised in the Ford accessories book of that year

So if upgraded wheels were advertised by Ford for the particular year they are acceptable.

I can put a 48IDA Weber setup on a 1966 A-code fastback and it would be perfectly acceptable (without points deduction) in Concours Trailered since it was in the Ford High Performance Parts catalog...

:cheers:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. I am totally new to this kind of showing. I have always been a guy to show up and just take everything in and enjoy it without knowing about the point system.

·
Registered
9,918 Posts
Fastback97: Certain classes are judged to a way tighter standard. It's Marti report exact or points off. I've lived it, seen it, and am not playing it anymore. I'll let you figure out which classes have been infected.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Fastback97: Certain classes are judged to a way tighter standard. It's Marti report exact or points off. I've lived it, seen it, and am not playing it anymore. I'll let you figure out which classes have been infected.
So it's Marti exact or points off, how does it work with the original pre 67s?

·
Registered
853 Posts
So it's Marti exact or points off, how does it work with the original pre 67s?

mca does not refer to the marti report during judging. it has been discussed but due to the fact that there are no reports for 65-66 it was decided to not use that.

·
Registered
9,918 Posts
My opinion: Seems the 65/66 owners are happy folks. They can build a car their way, optioned with what they like or would have ordered from Ford back in the day. Nobody can say that it is wrong as there is no proof of the car being build any other way.
I'm not saying every Concours 65/66 Mustang is done this way. I just know some are. And their owners are smiling.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I've judged 67-68 concours driven and trailered at least 5 times over the last 4 years. About 20 or so different cars, assisting a different gold card holder in each case. We have never referred to or looked at a Marti report during the judging process.

The judging guidelines are posted on the MCA site and are pretty clear.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I've judged 67-68 concours driven and trailered at least 5 times over the last 4 years. About 20 or so different cars, assisting a different gold card holder in each case. We have never referred to or looked at a Marti report during the judging process.

The judging guidelines are posted on the MCA site and are pretty clear.
So help me, how does the concours judge evaluate the 67/68 is as original? Maybe Laurie will chime in. Maybe her 68 didn't come with integrated A/C, she added it for Arizona mildly warm temp. Maybe she added the power steering and power brakes.

·
Administrator
19,484 Posts
We have to know our stuff, basically. My coupe is originally a Michigan car, and nothing has been changed or added to it other than normal maintenance items.

·
Registered
827 Posts
So help me, how does the concours judge evaluate the 67/68 is as original?
Slim,

Since the Marti report is out of scope, here's how, simply put: Evaluate each car against the published rules using the combined knowledge of the judging team.

If someone modifies a car (e.g. adding or removing an option) that can't be detected via the VIN and/or data plate; as long as the modification is true to the factory parts and methods, there would be no deduction.

If the modification was not true to the factory type (e.g. modern AC system) or if the option were not possible (e.g. 15" diameter wheels on any 1967 except for those that had the ultra rare competition suspension option), there would be a points deduction.

This is based on current rules as I know and have experienced them from 2010-2015 (have not yet judged this year but am planning to do so)

Also as far as any rigging or shenanigans go, I've seen and experienced absolutely none. If I suspected any, I would follow through using proper methods. If I ended up unsatisfied I would stop volunteering.
John

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
If you've lived it then what classes were you dealing with!?

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts