Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
Getting ready for a Mustang/Shelby/Ford car show Saturday and I was told that the 69 mustang ran their plug wires a certain way with clips to keep them off of the valve covers. Does anyone have information or pic's describing this?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,383 Posts
I think all Ford V8s had the spark plug wires across the valve covers with a black plastic clip holding the wires. Some of the valve covers had a sheet metal tab for the clip to attach to. My factory aluminum 1970 Boss 302 valve covers are like that.

·
4,072 Posts
Following, as I have no heard of a way to run them that keeps them off the valve covers.

This would not be proper, as you can see the tabs on the valve cover where the retainer clip is supposed to be.

·
Premium Member
13,383 Posts
Following, as I have no heard of a way to run them that keeps them off the valve covers.
I used aftermarket wire looms to run my plug wires around the edge of the valve cover.

View attachment 791819
View attachment 791822

This would not be proper, as you can see the tabs on the valve cover where the retainer clip is supposed to be.
On my original assembly line Boss 302 valve covers the tab was held in place with 2 screws. On the service replacement covers they were riveted in place.
I removed the tabs and found these cool emblems on Fleabay to stick on the spot where the tabs used to be.
SB302 1.jpg
SB302 8.jpg

·
4,072 Posts
I used aftermarket wire looms to run my plug wires around the edge of the valve cover.

View attachment 791819
View attachment 791822

On my original assembly line Boss 302 valve covers the tab was held in place with 2 screws. On the service replacement covers they were riveted in place.
I removed the tabs and found these cool emblems on Fleabay to stick on the spot where the tabs used to be.
Nice, but not quite concours or original, which is the topic of this group. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
There is a diagram is in the Ford shop manual. It shows the correct arrangement from the distributor cap to the cylinders including the clips on the drivers side so that #7&#8 do not run parallel to each other and cause crossfire since they fire in sequence. 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
OldCarBrochures.com has some 1969 sales literature for period correct (if maybe pre-production) photos of how things were.

This pic shows them coming straight over the center in their BOSS 302 engine shot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As long as the OP's 69 is not a 351w.
View attachment 791839
sure. But the purpose of the item,on the judging sheet is to ensure the wires are routed and secured as per Ford requirements. And that is shown in the shop manual & vehicle assembly manuals. It’s kind of an obscure thing but there was even a bulletin about it back in the day.

im not at home right now or I would take a picture, but here is a similar diagram from an F100. BTW, this is NOT where the clips go on an early Mustang. The first set go between the distributor cap and the valve cover, the second set secure the wires to the valve cover.
9AE047DE-7C02-42D6-8E15-E147FDEF4095.jpeg

·
4,072 Posts
sure. But the purpose of the item,on the judging sheet is to ensure the wires are routed and secured as per Ford requirements. And that is shown in the shop manual & vehicle assembly manuals. It’s kind of an obscure thing but there was even a bulletin about it back in the day.

im not at home right now or I would take a picture, but here is a similar diagram from an F100. BTW, this is NOT where the clips go on an early Mustang. The first set go between the distributor cap and the valve cover, the second set secure the wires to the valve cover.
You are correct, your diagram is incorrect in this case as the OP is asking about his 69 Mustang, stating there was a way to keep the wires off the valve covers. I am following this to see how it is done myself. After the engine/engine bay heats up, my wires sag and lay on the inside edge of my valve covers.

If you look at my 2nd photo, you will see the clips that you are mentioning.

Here is the text from the MCA Judging Rules, 1969 - 1970 MUSTANG CONCOURS TRAILERED / DRIVEN

L. Spark Plugs and Wires: Autolite with black or orange boots, wire sleeve protectors. Properly routed with correct attaching brackets. Spark Plugs: Autolite. Correct style and type for engine and year. ................................................3

·
4,072 Posts
Also, though I signed up for Concours Judging, I was placed in a lower class (SP) that used less stringent judging (much to my disappointment)

·
Registered
18 Posts
You are correct, your diagram is incorrect in this case as the OP is asking about his 69 Mustang, stating there was a way to keep the wires off the valve covers. I am following this to see how it is done myself. After the engine/engine bay heats up, my wires sag and lay on the inside edge of my valve covers.

If you look at my 2nd photo, you will see the clips that you are mentioning.

Here is the text from the MCA Judging Rules, 1969 - 1970 MUSTANG CONCOURS TRAILERED / DRIVEN

L. Spark Plugs and Wires: Autolite with black or orange boots, wire sleeve protectors. Properly routed with correct attaching brackets. Spark Plugs: Autolite. Correct style and type for engine and year. ................................................3
But the judging isn’t about keeping them off the valve covers, the judging requires the correct routing and clips. Eg, here is my BOSS 302 routing and clips. Note in photo #7 is shown passing under #8 after the valve cover clip, this is incorrect, it should just go straight to the plug.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don’t want to post photos from the (c) Jim Osborne Vehicle Assembly Manuals (Electrical), but that is where you will find the Ford drawings for all the Mustang engine spark plug wire routing. 6 cylinder through to the 428, and even the 351W & 351C. There is a photo in the shop manual (Engine/ignition section), it’s not easy to see any details.

·
Registered
91 Posts
No clue what's considered concourse correct, but below is from Volume 2 of the 1969 Ford Car Shop Manual...
1619171081196.png

1 - 15 of 15 Posts