Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I pass along the results of painting my garage floor.

I bought "BEHR" slate gray concrete paint and primer at "Home Depot" for my new garage. I etch it just like the directions said. Primed it and it took 4 days to dry (the directions said it would take 24 hours). I painted one bay of my garage. It checked badly where the shadows fell on the paint. The paint said to use between 50 and 90 deg. It was in the 60s my putting a thermometer on the concrete showed 55.

I waited a month and did the second bay. This time I got in a hurry and painted over the primer after 3 day and it was tacky still in a couple places. IT looked fine except where it was tacky - it checked there worse than before.

Waited another week and gave it another coat to cover the checking. Waited two week and pulled my stang into the garage. It looked good in there.

Primed my third bay and waited a week to paint. Painted last night, glad I am done. While I was working in the garage last nite I dropped a drill bit and it chipped the paint in the first bay (I was ticked that it was this fragile).

This morning I pull my stang out of the garage (it was in for 4 days without moving). The paint came up where my tires had been. REAL TICKED now.

Just thought I would let ya'll know my experiences. I think I will call POR-15 folks since they make a concrete paint that is supposed to be much more durable and be able to with stand the weight of a car.

John L. Anschutz
Allen, TX
68 Diamond Blue Coupe - 302
68 Acapulco Blue Coupe - I6 - 200
http://www.dallas.net/~jjmsansc/parts/Stangs.jpg

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Thanks for passing that along. I put silicone sealer on mine right after the concrete was finished. It seals out the water, and doesn't peel or chip, but it melts when paint thinner or other solvents hit it.

Coppertone's current condition:
http://www.knology.net/~dorner/images/coppertone2.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I've been told that epoxy paint is really the way to go for garage floors.
It looks great, but I think it's really expensive.
Sorry for your problems - Dickson

1965 GT fastback
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

·
Registered
952 Posts
Here at Delco we have painted concrete floors for Water Treatment Plants.

FIRST thing >> Remove all oils. You can steam clean the floor and then mop it out with mineral spirits or isopropl alchohol. another option is with a floor stripping compound. You can get that from a cleaning supplier (janitorial supplier). Look in the phone book.

SECOND >> You need a profile on the surface. If your concrete is super smooth you may need to rent a floor buffer and put a coarse pad on it.

THIRD >> Get GOOD paint. Forget Home this or that. Go buy a two part chemical resistant epoxy. We use Ameron. In your phone book under paint supplies - Industrial find a good suppler.

LAST >> After it is cured, put two or three coats of sealer. Get it from the janitorial supplier.

I know it sounds like a butt ache. But, I have done it several times and the floor is bullet proof and cleans easy. Plus man does it shine!!! We did our 35K sq ft warehouse that way and after 9 years of forklifts and dragging pallets and pumps and bla bla -- It STILL shines up good.

OH OH - get a resporator!!!!!

layne

Edit notes: You should be able to do a normal two car closet for about 150.00 to 200.00. Kinda spendy but you will only paint it once. This type of surface is chemical resistant. I know, I spilled a 2 gallon bucket of sulphuric acid. It took the sealer but not the paint.
69-GT F Code Sportsroof
00 - Dodge Ram 1500 - My daily driver
95 - Dodge Stratus LS - SWMBO daily driver
92 - Ford Tempo GL - Daughters beast <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Layne_Utah on 03/21/01 11:08 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Sounds like what I've been looking for.... How ungodly slick is it when it gets wet? ( washing and drying cars) I know some of the Big Box warehouse store just wax the concrete, but try and stand on it when its wet..woooooo!

Ken
99 GTP
97 Yukon
68 GT convert

·
Registered
326 Posts
I used a two-part epoxy that Home Depot had. I can't remember the name - but it wasn't Behr. They stuff, so far, is indestructible. It only comes up when the concrete does.

It is gray, came in two gallons cans that were half empty for mixing, and came with paint flecks to sprinkle over the wet paint to give a textured look. If you don't use the stuff within two hours of mixing, you get a big expensive block of paint in a can.

It cost about $40 a gallon. Each gallon covered about 250 sq ft.

Keith

64 1/2 coupe built around April 30, 1964
was a 260 3-speed becoming a 5.0 5-speed.

·
Registered
952 Posts
It is a bit slippery but not too bad. One solution is to get some silica sand and throw it in the wet paint.

69-GT F Code Sportsroof
00 - Dodge Ram 1500 - My daily driver
95 - Dodge Stratus LS - SWMBO daily driver
92 - Ford Tempo GL - Daughters beast

G

·
0 Posts
The best thing I've ever seen on a garage floor was at a house my wife and I looked at buying last summer. It had the rubber floor like you see at "Jiffy Lube" and similar places. I have no idea how much it costs, but it sure looks "sweet".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts