Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally have my engine BACK inside the engine bay and everything is progressing nicely.

Just need to confirm one thing here...

As I placed my 4100 with the 1" spacer on top of the Performer intake it certainly looks like I may have a problem with clearance with the hood. I'm looking at the top of the screw stud which the air cleaner mounts and "eyeballing" the top edge of the front radiator support and the top edge of the cowl opening. Assuming a straight line (I realize the hood has an arc...) the top of that screw is higher than the straight line.

I've read literally dozens of posts with people putting the Performer/spacer/4100 on top of the 289's and never mentioning any problems.

Have I missed something here or just worrying for nothing?

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I had to use a 1/2" spacer on top of the Cobra manifold on the D-coder to allow use of the stock air cleaner housing without hitting the hood. I had a one inch spacer and it barely hit. I'm still using the old mounts, which locate the engine a bit lower in the bay. So, IMO, things are going to be a bit close, even with a low profile air cleaner...
I put a bolt through the driver's side engine mount, just in case it broke under torque...didn't want to ding up that virgin D-coder hood! *G*

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 289 an performer RPM air gap and a 1 inch space with a 2 inch air cleaner and it all fits if you don't think it will get some playdough and put it on the air cleaner and close very slowly. Latman

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
My current setup is a 4100 on top of a Cobra intake with a 1" spacer and hi-po style air filter, and I clear. But before closing that hood I'd get out the play-doh or silly putty and put it on top of your air cleaner stud and carefully try to close the hood just to be sure....(and get an exact measurement of clearance if any)

On a related note, you might do a search related to your matching a 4100 to a Performer intake. IIRC that combo was prone to leaking due to a narrow flange on the intake....but you may have solved that with the spacer....Good luck - Dickson

·
Registered
884 Posts
It is a great idea to take measurments. I also took measurements on the a/c compressor, thing do get awfully close.

A better way to measure. Straight edge across the fender aprons,how much clearence do you need? Then put the straight edge across the bottom of the hood. How much clearence is there at that point?

Never use your air cleaner as a tool rack. One day you will forget!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts