Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This won't hurt a bit....

It's nice to see that the most populated state in the union elect such a wacko tree-hugging governer. Especially since half of those people are here illegally. Gov Davis reminds me of myself in my youth. Stoned and stupid. Oh, how little has changed. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I saw on the news tonight that he just passed a bill that put major restrictions in the amount of pollutants cars can produce. It looks like SUVs will soon be outlawed in California! Maybe I should get into the moped buisness out there. It sounds like everyone will be riding hydrogen fuel cell mopeds by 2009. Great! I even hear you'll be required to excercise daily and wear a perma grin on your face or risk a public beating by the LAPD. They won't have to worry about being filmed because any camera with a lithium battery will probably be banned soon anyway. It looks like the only place left where you can pretty much do anything is the Moon. Hell, I would have said Antartica, but some greenpeace nazis (no doubt Gov Davis supporters) would be on you faster than Fat Bastard on free samples at Sam's Club. The worst part is that other states will probably be forced to follow California's standards. That may even invade my home land of Canada. If I can no longer ride my two-stroke I'll be pissed. Trust me, you don't want Moped Boy pissed off! Just ask the last person who trapped a rare speckeled moth butterfly in a non-PETA approved net. I went gorrilla on that mofo! It's not okay to hurt any animal, except humans.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Moped-Boy, there must be some conspiracy to quell your ideas and freedom to post because someone has sabotaged your sig picture. Perhaps it was the Greenpeace Internet Commando Units. You need to join forces with Herbert Kornfeld to rid the world of treehuggers and accounts payable managers.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Our governer, the honorable Grey(out) Doofus just signed that stupid bill to kiss up to the environmental whackos and tree huggers. You exhale CO2 with every breath. Are they going to tax that next. Where the hell can I move to get away from these idiots or is there still hope? When will I have to have a special permit and pay a tax to continue breathing. If we downgrade the CO2 output, what are the trees in the forest going to live on.?

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Yes, there is a bill in the California house (Bill FU2CO2) that is awaiting approval. Every person in California will be required to complete a lung capacity test. Those with large lung capacities will be taxed more. If you exceed your daily CO2 discharge you have to suck a pine cone for 30 mins the following day. If you choose a pine cone that has not yet released it's seeds, you will be forced to serve 90 days in the Earth Day plant a tree program. Failure to plant 30 trees during Earth day, will be punishable by death. Though not by electric chair because they need all the electricity they can generate. You will be required to dispose of your own body in a fashion that does not harm the enviornment. Therefore, you must find a way to dissolve into nothing. No hole digging, because you may cut an Earthworm in half. If that happens your surviving family will be responsible to pay those killed Earthworm's families 1.34 million each in punitive damages. If they are broke they must dissolve too.

If that made sense you must have voted for Gov. Davis.

·
Registered
463 Posts
This is a Bad Thing(tm).

First of all, there weren't any restrictions passed today with Gov. Dumbass signing the bill. What they passed was a bill stating that CARB has to have *something* in place that lowers carbon dioxide output.

Read that as: CARB gets a blank check to do whatever the hell they please, and we get to do nothing about it. Sh*tty.

Now then, there is SOME hope. State legislators will still have to approve whatever plan CARB comes up with (keep in mind, it isn't going to be instituted until model year 2009 vehicles). That said, we can HOPE that some of the tree huggin hippies have gone back to Oregon or something, and people will realize that CARB is dumb, cars don't really put out THAT MUCH co2, and global warming hasn't even been proven to actually be taking place yet.

Okay, I'm done.

-M

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love CA but HATE HATE HATE anyone who runs it. FU you stupid DMV

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Yup, eventually we'll all be forced to ride bicycles or walk, and guess what ... the exempt big rigs and diesels and factories with as much money as they have smoke rolling out of their smoke stacks will keep the polution at the exact same level. Yup ... go after the little guy ... leave big business alone.

The only thing scarier than re-electing Goobener Davis is electing the bozo running against him. I say we all move up to Nevada, and drop a couple nuclear bombs on California, let it slide on off into the Ocean and we'll all still be close to the ocean and mountains /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree that this is a ridiculous idea. I actually wrote the governor and told him so (hey, at least I'm doing something). Anyway, 66conv6 SUVs aren't the only thing impacted. ANY large engine (read Mustang) will be included in this absurd bill.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Lest us on the other coast think it's a local CA issue-consider this-CA is the one of the largest, if not the largest markets for new cars. If they have to change the way cars are made to accomodate the large customer base, they'll likely just change them all.

As they say, all politics are local.

J. Boggs

·
Registered
413 Posts
They should stop outlawing cars and plant more trees. Wouldn't that be a more positive way of spending money they are wasting on the lawers that help implement these kind of regulations?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Heard about this yesterday on Nat'l Public Radio, of all places. They actually presented a pretty balanced view of the new law (which is rare for NPR). I'm not a Californian, but all too often, environmental legislation that is first passed in CA, ultimately becomes a model for national EPA regulations. Not neccessarily a good thing.

Anyway, I agree with your opinion of this law, but I have to correct you on a couple of points. First Davis didn't pass the law, he only signed it. He could have vetoed it, but the environmental lobby in CA would have had his butt for lunch come election time.

It was none other than the state legislators that authored and passed the law. These are the men and women you guys (in CA) elect every few years - and before you go demanding Davis' head on a pike, you'd better look at the role your legislators had in all of this. The real blame lies with them.

Second, although the law is cleverly written so that it is technically targeting "greenhouse gases", its real objective is to override federal gas mileage standards. Federal law (corporate average fuel economy standards) cannot be legally overridden by state law - but if that law's stated purpose is to reduce greenhouse gas (for which there is no federal law), then a state can legally put their own law into place.

What the enviro-lobbyists really want in CA is an end to the proliferation of light trucks and large automobiles. Their vision is that everyone drives around in those ugly little electric and hybrid gas/electric cars.

Californians have a real problem in that you've lost control of your own legislature. I'm certainly not in favor of no laws governing the amount of pollutants autos create, but I think this goes way too far. I'd hate to see it become a template for federal law.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Even worse is the fact that the diseases formed there will spread over the entire country.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Why don't all you pissed off Californians come up and live with me! Smog checks aren't even required on ANY car in my town/county! I've got 12x12 stalls available for yall, $250/month. Includes all the hay you can eat!

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Cool down, now.
Gov. "What Have You Done For Me This Week" signed a bill that can, and may well be, overturned by the voters. Got that ? You and me, folks.

Get an initiative crafted, qualified and on the ballot. Then be sure to vote out the politicians that passed this bill in the first place. Simple, see ?

We do have a choice, and it's time we started making it.

·
6,854 Posts
Moped boy, you seem a little tense.

You guys will probably flame me, but I think the government should increase CAFE standards and probably the gas guzzler tax too. Anyone that actually needs an SUV (like I do because of the work I'm in) will pay the tax. Those that really don't need SUV's will end up buying something more fuel effiecient.

The reduction in gasoline consumption will lower the price of gasoline and that will mean I'll be able to better afford all the gas I need for my SUV and Mustang because the rest of you suckers won't be using enough gas to fill a teacup in your little Honda Hybrids.

So, higher standards would be good for the economy, good for the environment, and most importantly good for me.

Phil

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Gray Davis can bite me. So can all the a$$holes that voted for this jerk, and other jerks like Fienstien etc.

Califronia is begining to suck so bad that you can't believe it.
I was born here but I am not sure I want to die here.

We are a bunch of co'co's here and it is getting worse.
"If the cops dont beat you who will?"

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Your assumptions about the law of supply and demand hold true only in a true free market system.

Since we live in a quasi free market society, this law does not always apply. And in this case, since world oil supplies are control in a monopolistic structure, it will never apply to oil prices.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts