Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Spammer Hammer
9,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man January seems to have flown by. Anyway, this month I have again selected one of our newer members for RotM. Mr. Pressman's beautiful '66 FB...and an exciting purchase story behind the car as well. He and I also share the same dream car, '65 GT350. Unfortunately for the both of us, out of reach. We don't see many of members here that take the advice offered by many to purchase a completed car and be money ahead. However, Mr. Pressman did exactly this and he is being rewarded for doing so. So please enjoy his story and pics of his car.

My journey to club Mustang is a little different than many on here. I’ve been pretty fortunate to have a few cool cars in my life including an SN95 Mustang. But as happens, coolness was eventually sacrificed for practicality. But even as family, homes and my career took precedents, I never stopped dreaming that one day I would have another classic car. I’m pretty sure I told my future wife about this on our first date. Fast forward 14 years and I still hadn’t scratched that itch, but the Mustang dream was very much alive. As I approached the big 5-0 my wife began encouraging me to shut up and make it happen. Building my own car was definitely not an option, I just don’t have the time, the space or enough of the skills to make that happen. Plus, I had already waited long enough. Some friends who are car collectors decided we should hit up one of the big car auctions and before I knew it, I was on a plane to Vegas. By coincidence, a friend of a client who is a major car collector would also be there and was very excited to help. With all of these knowledgeable people willing to help me find the right car, I felt this was a great plan.

I decided that I wanted a ‘65 or ‘66 K code fastback. My dream car is a ‘65 GT350, but they are out of the question and this was the next closest thing. When the auction catalogue came out, I was happy to see there was what appeared to be a very nice K code that checked the boxes. I also researched a few other cars including a 1969 S code fastback. While I definitely prefer the smaller cars, I couldn’t ignore a big block. I flew in a day early to preview the cars and was very disappointed to find the K code was not nearly as nice as it seemed. The power train was solid and original however the body was a complete mess. Under okay paint was a hornet’s nest of problems. That was not going to do. Next, on to the ‘69 which I found was in decent shape, but still had some body issues that concerned me. There were a few more cars I wanted to check out, but none of them were right. While walking the floor, I came upon a silver 1966 fastback. This car was nothing like what I thought I wanted. There was not a stock part on it. 347 stroker motor, five speed T5Z transmission, four wheel disc brakes , Vintage Air A/C, serpentine belt system and more. The more I looked the car over, the more I wanted it. The workmanship seemed to be of high quality and the selection of parts showed someone had put care and effort into it and hadn’t cut corners. Plus, a car with modern components seemed to fit my needs better. While at the preview I struck up a conversation with one of the MotorTrend on-air personalities who couldn’t’ have been nicer. He asked to see the cars I was considering, so one by one we visited each and he completely agreed the ‘66 was the one. As my friends arrived, we again viewed each car and there was 100% consensus that this was the right car for me. All that was left was to buy it.

When the day the car would be auctioned came, I was pretty nervous. The experienced folks gave me all sorts of advice, but honestly I forgot it all as the car came across the block. I tried to play it cool to see who else was interested, but the bids came pretty quick. I had set a maximum price, but we were fast approaching it and I hadn’t even raised my hand. Finally, I jumped in with my maximum bid, it honestly felt great to be in the game. Unfortunately, another bidder took the high bid right away. I’d hit my max, and I was done. Except that my good friend was encouraging me to go one more. The “ringman” was in front of me and he’s trying to get me to bid again as my friend is actually hitting me. After what seemed like an eternity, I said fine, one more and raised my hand. That bid won the car. I was a very weird mix of ecstatic and nauseous as I signed the auction receipt.

The car arrived about a week later and we’ve had a ton of fun. There is nothing that compares to driving a classic Mustang. But you all know that. The first thing I did was have three-point seatbelts installed all the way around. I have a 12-year-old daughter and enjoying the car with her and my wife is the most important thing, so safety was paramount.

The best thing about the car hobby is the community. The awesome people who helped me buy the car, the people that come up to it, ogle it and tell stories of their own, the people I meet at C&C and the wonderful folks on this forum. This is what makes this hobby so much fun.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Thank you all very much! I am excited to be in the classic Mustang club and am looking forward to many fun miles and lots of new friends. Of course I just have to wait out the stupid winter..... Also a big thanks to Patrick, a true gentleman.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Also a big thanks to Patrick, a true gentleman.
I was once told that a true gentleman is one who can count the hairs...nevermind, this is a PG site, however, I will beg to differ... ;) :p:LOL:

Patrick's a good guy and again, that is a beautiful ride.

Allen

·
Premium Member
4,366 Posts
I LOVE that silver with the stunning red interior and red GT stripes. It is a STUNNER.
CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS on ROTM for the Ride of Your Life !!

Reactions: Quicksilver66

·
Registered
6,137 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Allen is correct, they are the Legendary wheels. I’m a big fan of torque thrusts, but these are a close second for me. I get lots of compliments on them.

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate the kind comments.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Allen is correct, they are the Legendary wheels. I’m a big fan of torque thrusts, but these are a close second for me. I get lots of compliments on them.

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate the kind comments.
Those Legendary wheels are perfect on your car!!

Allen

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the R O T M club. Beautiful car. That color with the red interior is such an outstanding combination. Enjoy the ride ! ! !

John

Reactions: Quicksilver66

·
Registered
837 Posts
Very pretty. I'd be afraid to drive it. But clearly was meant for it.
Any info on the exportbrace MonteCarlo bar ?
Thanks! The great thing about Mustangs is that everything is available with the click of a mouse, right. At least that’s what I tell my father-in-law when he rides with me in the city....

The Monte Carlo bar may have come from Mustangs Unlimited but based on the cost noted of $33 I’m going to say that’s not it. I will go by the garage this weekend and see if I can find a name on it.

Reactions: 2nd 66
1 - 20 of 25 Posts