Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a 302 from a 96 Explorer. Based on some discussions here, I bought a new Autozone distributor for an 85 Mustang with a 302 and a carb. I have an MSD 6A box that I ran with my old 289.

The first pic below is from the MSD instructions. They show many different installations but I think this one is closest to what I am doing. The wires coming out of my distributor do not match the colors shown.

The second pic is my distributor. The brown/black wire is grounded to the breaker plate at the gold screw. I am pretty sure this one corresponds with "not used" in the MSD diagram. The red/black and orange/black wires go to the pickup. I am not clear on how to connect those to the green and violet MSD wires. Maybe it doesn't matter?

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
I would contact MSD via phone, I'm sure they have seen this problem before.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,121 Posts
Msd makes a pigtail to plug into the distributor and the msd box. I have one in the package somewhere. If it wasn't packed away right now I'd send it to you.

Reactions: Huskinhano

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know about the MSD 8869 harness. One issue is that it's too short. Another is, I am not 100% convinced that my distributor matches it. Another is, I have a brand new generic distributor pigtail plug already on hand, and a pigtail for the corresponding plug on the MSD box. My plan was to use those and make my own harness. Set all that aside for now though.....

I talked to a guy at MSD this morning. He was inclined to believe that on my distributor wiring, orange/black is equivalent to orange, and the wire I described as red/black is supposed to be purple, maybe with crappy coloring. Let's just say he did not fill my heart with confidence.

Woodchuck's drawing is the most helpful, and I think it's the example I will follow. For what it's worth, the view looking into the plug on the Autozone BDLG-FD30 distributor is this:

I checked again, and the brown/black is definitely connected to the breaker plate in the distributor.

I'm not quite ready to fire this thing up, but will be soon. I'll report back when I do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.