Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just wondering since the engine shop took out the pistons in my cleveland and I've never done the bottom of an engine before. The rods are numbered one - eight. So left bank 1-4 right 5-8, like 1next to 2 -3 next to 4 on each crank journal? I know the chamfered end of each rod is suppose to face the crank journal. The only way this can happen is if each rod goes in order starting at the front of the engine 1 /2 3 /4 5 /6 and 7 /8 in order, or am i missing something here?

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
1st rod journal will have 1 & 5, 2nd will have 2 & 6, 3rd will have 3 & 7 and 4th will have 4 & 8

[color:blue]68 GT500</font color=blue>
[color:green]68 1/2 CJ Coupe</font color=green>

MCA# 18519

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Passenger side is 1-4....driver side is 5-8

Rods go 1/5, 2/6, 3/7, 4/8....IOW, the 1 and 5 rods go on the front crankpin and so forth....

Champher faces journal radius...

Sometimes shops press the pistons on backwards...this is usually only a problem with domed pistons or ones with only one set of valve reliefs...or in your case, polyangle valves...*G*

Post back about what you have....getting this right is critical...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
No. I drive the Shelby when the weather is nice, the CJ coupe is in a million pieces in the garage awaiting a large infusion of cash (sound familiar to anyone?).

[color:blue]68 GT500</font color=blue>
[color:green]68 1/2 CJ Coupe</font color=green>

MCA# 18519

1 - 5 of 5 Posts