Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a fastback mustang. I have had an 89 convertible and a 95 GT but never an older one. My Dad drove a 66 in his younger days and our family hand a 70 Mach one in the early 1980s (wish we would have kept that). Anyway, what are the most important things to look for when buying an older car? I am wanting to buy a nice daily driver in the $15,000.00 range and fix it up as I go, possible doing a GT500 clone or I may just leave it stock and put some 17" wheels on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Greg

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The most imporatant thing to look for is RUST. Most everything else can be fixed relatively cheap and easy. Rust repairs are time consumming and expensive.

I would HIGHLY recommend taking someone with you to look at potential cars that is familiar with classic Mustangs and can point out to you any potential problems.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
The most imporatant thing to look for is RUST. Most everything else can be fixed relatively cheap and easy. Rust repairs are time consumming and expensive.

I would HIGHLY recommend taking someone with you to look at potential cars that is familiar with classic Mustangs and can point out to you any potential problems.

Good advice......any rust you can see is probably 1/10 of what's there.

Metalwork and paint are far and away the most expensive work on classic cars.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Greg, you could buy my 69 sportsroof for significantly less than that. Send me a pm and I can tell you what is involved. There are all sorts of ways to get what you want. I'd hate to think of you getting ripped off with some rust bucket from back east.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I couldn't have said it any better. Check with your local Mustang club and you will probably find someone to go with you to check the car out. Rust is a wallet thinning condition if there ever was one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have actually did some research but I just wanted some more input. I was not asking if 17" would fit. I just said I may put them on the car I bought. When I said, I would drive it while working on it, I didnt mean I would be doing all the work myself. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 69 Mach one and I'm finding parts more difficult to come by than 67-68. Just a thought.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you go with 69, avoid the coupe. (I got one, and discovered that there are many more parts for fastbacks.)

67/68 is when the stock (non-shelby) mustangs started angling towards speed, and they had a more-aggressive look to them than their 64/66 counterparts.

68 is possibly one of the most-beautiful mustangs out there. The lines match up just right.
If you're looking for a really mean and aggressive look, 69/70 is the way to go. There were also many engine options for this year.
In 71/73, the mustang got LOOONG. They had a massive engine bay though, as I recall. That means that there is a lot of stuff that you can do with big blocks in there.

Anyways, there's my two cents on choosing a model year. As for the particular car, I have to say it again: RUST. Look out for rust.

Also, check the cowl vents, up on the hood area. They have a tendancy to rust out, and you'll have water in your glovebox.

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
.....67/68 is when the stock (non-shelby) mustangs started angling towards speed, and they had a more-aggressive look to them than their 64/66 counterparts.

68 is possibly one of the most-beautiful mustangs out there. The lines match up just right....

I like the way you think! :lol:

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I agree with the "rust" opinion. The '67 is 4" wider in the engine bay than '64 1/2-'66. That means no shock tower modifications if you go with a larger engine.
You mentioned that you wished your family had kept the '69...maybe that should be a consideration...re-visit your childhood :)
No matter what you choose, we are all here for ya!
Robin

·
Registered
164 Posts
Greg,

I'm just up the road from you. There is a guy on hwy 29 directly across from the hwy patrol station that can probably get you a good lead on what your're looking for. Best time to catch him is Friday nights, in or around the Hot Rod Barn. Sorry, can't remember his name.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts