Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy an Ivy Gold Center console. From what I can see from the photos, it is in perfect or near-perfect condition. However, my interior is black. Is there any way possible to either spray paint or dye this thing. It's in really great shape at a really great price, just wrong color. All help will be appreciated! Thanks.

http://www.teknovation.net/matt/con1.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't recommend dying a '68 console, it will get knicked now and then and the ivy gold will show through.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Charles definitely has a point – It probably will get nicked or scuffed and the gold will peek through. But as difficult as it is to find a nice console, I think I would take the chance. I've spray-dyed a couple 65/66 consoles and never had a nick happen – just lucky I suppose.

The up-side is that black has to be the easiest color to touch up. Just keep a Sharpie in the glovebox! ;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How exactly would I go about spray dyeing them? What dye to use? Where to get it? How to do it? Please Help...

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
You can use dye on the vinyl and regular Krylon spray paint on the plastic. More durable than you think. It's all in the cleaning process. Scrub and rinse it atleast 3 times.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I had an experience with some ritz dye you may want to try. I went from a red interior to black, and I dyed the seatbelts. Prior to that, I had spay dyed the seat hing plastic parts, but as stateed by others, they chipped. I stripped the dye of and put them in with the seatbelts, and they dyed nice and black too...into the plastic so chipping was no longer a problem. I would assume with enough dye and a large enough container, the same can be done to the console.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone know any good techniques for dyeing a console? I have looked and see that Rit Dye has a black, but I really don't want to screw up this console, so I need to do it right, the first time. Anybody ever done this before and could help me out?

·
Registered
839 Posts
E-mail me at [email protected] I have a black base w/o cracks chips etc etc. Looks like original black color for a non A/C car. Possible swap? My interior is nugget gold. My console cover is for an auto.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
This is NOT a job for Rit Dye! I'm sorry I wasn't more clear...

I'm referring to the spray can dye that nearly all the Mustang parts vendors sell. It comes in all the same colors as the interior lacquers. It's basically just spray paint with a flex agent added. You won't have any trouble finding it. As a matter of fact, you'll probably find black at your local auto parts store. Just look in the spray paint section.

After a very thorough cleaning of the part, it's applied just like spray paint.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Yes, it does look good. Too good! It has obviously been refinished, probably with the rattle can lacquer interior paints. In the original form, the vinyl part would have aged differently than the lower part ie two shades of the green. It will be a bit messy, but the color can be washed off with lacquer thinner. I've done it before. Use a low grade thinner ala HDepot and apply it with paper toweling that can be thrown away. Once you get the repaint off, you'll be able to use a black vinyl dye. You can use the vinyl paint and dye combos by ordering from Matt at Ponderosa or NPD. Ask for 68 black. The lower part will take the paint and the top portion, the dye-which is nothing more than lacquer with a flex additive. I'd go over the surfaces lightly with a mild scotchbrite, and wash the pieces before refinishing.

·
Registered
150 Posts
This going to sound 'flaky" but hear me out...... I have used Dupicolor's spray can:"Truck bed liner" on a lot of interior items such as kick panels, dash items and even consoles .It produces an excellent "leather-like"factory looking finish which is very tough and can take some degree of abuse. It is also easy to touch up, if needed.

Hope this helps

Tom

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
check out:

www.semproducts.com

They have a step-by-step procedure online for re-coloring plastic and vinyl.

They sell professional quality plastic coloring products. The stuff in the aerosol can is worth what it costs, @ $5.The products you'll use will be Semsoap, SemSolve and ColorCoat. If you want a quality job, check out their products. Many of the online body supply stores carry their goods.

try:

www.handsontools.com
www.autocollisionproducts.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts