Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'66 Mustang with Hurst 4 spd shifter and console. Hurst shift boot is ripped. Started to remove console today and need HELP!

1. Cannot get the console to move to the rear more than a couple of inches - not enough to get it out. Binds between the dash and carpet. Even if I can solve the shift boot problem, I will eventually need to remove it when I add AC. What's the secret to removal?

2. Hurst style shift boot looks too big for the trans shifter trim plate opening. Hurst is rectangular not square like the original Ford part and is longer in both length and width. If anyone out there has a '66 with a Hurst 4 spd in a console what boot / retainer combination works and looks good? Will the Ford part for a '66 work with the Hurst?

3. Metal console trim plate is out. Need to respray the black. [No, I did not mess it up getting it out.] What is the correct black to use??

4. Diagram pg 24 of NPD catalog makes it look like the console compartment directly under the dash is lighted. Is this correct? If so what turns light on/off?

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
The way I get the console out is to remove the driver seat (it's easy, just 4 nuts) and then rotate the console tail towards the driver side, you should then be able to lift it out. Check to see if the mounting bracket at the front underside of the console has it's screws removed. Also, I used to have a Hurst 4 speed in my car with console, and, I used the stock Mustang 4 speed boot, it looked and worked fine. PM me if you need more info on the removal and install. I'm not sure exactly what black to use, I always use chassis black purchased at any Auto parts store.

Steve

1 - 2 of 2 Posts