Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I was just wondering if there is any place that you can get a cheap Long Style console housing. The prices I've looked at are about $190.00 for it and it comes in black. If I get one is there some way to paint it? Do you have to use semi-flat paint on it? I'm only asking because I have the short-style and the original A/C was thrown out by my mother when she owned the car!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You mayhaps thinking of selling your "short" console?
e-mail if so. Regs.

66 Coupe, 289/2v, C4, CA Red

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you can buy plastic dye from most of the big parts vendors that is matched to the dash color.

also, you can't transfer over your short console pieces to a long console since the big chrome center piece is shortened by cutting for the a/c console.

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I painted my console with the interior lacquer paint and didn't use the dye. It came out great. I've been told the dye might not 'stick' to the console. But I'm sure other people have had luck with it. I am very happy with the painted version.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I used vinyl dye to change the color on a 67 console I bought from black to blue. I was told by the parts guy I got it from that using dye was better than the plastic paint. Don't know if that is true but it came out great and the pebble finish is still visible. Make sure you clean the console well with lacquer thinner and use light coats. I tried to scratch it off with my fingernail in a hidden spot and it didn't come off. Good luck!l

1 - 5 of 5 Posts