Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, wanting to mount up my OEM console that I got a while ago into my fastback. As I said the car didn't originally have a console. Non-ac too. Automatic.

I am working the steps out my mind before I set off to do it and have a couple of questions.

Hole for the mounting brackets on the body. Are there any marks that would indicate to the factory workers where to punch/drill?

And the 6 screws on the sides. Where those original cutting/sheet metal screws or where there holes also drilled first?

And I've read about using a soldering iron to put holes in the carpet so the screw doesn't get caught up.

Thanks!
-lefty
Pictures would also be great :) Everyone likes those.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
What year of car? '65-66? If so, no there's no holes or dimples that show where to drill, at least not on any of the non-console cars I've ever seen. There may be dimples where the front mounting bracket was supposed to mount in front of the shifter, but I've never seen dimples for the 6 screws that screw into the sides of the console. Also, I've never seen dimples for the chrome end cap screws either.

The holes weren't drilled, they were originally punched, almost as if the factory workers had some sort of fixture or template to put the holes in exactly the right spot.

The screws weren't self-tapping, they were regular sheetmetal screws, just like all of the other screws in the interior panels and dash. And yes, the soldering iron trick is an excellent idea, otherwise you'll tear your hair and carpet out trying to get the screws to start without catching and unraveling the carpet!

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
35,863 Posts
It might help if you told us what year the car was.

The 64-66 had a pair of dimples above the transmission for the front bracket. Not very distinct, can be hard to spot. No other holes were marked anywhere, on any year Mustang. 67-up didn't have that bracket. Square up the console with the dash and shifter, then use an awl to punch screw holes through the carpet and floor. Do NOT drill the holes, you run about a 90% chance of ruining the carpet. Ford didn't drill the holes, either, so why should you?

Edit: What Rocks said. The factory used the console itself as the template.

Don't bother with the soldering iron, after you punch the holes you won't need it. The factory didn't do that, either.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Thought I had a few pictures laying around of the mounting bracket and console. Notice also the clips that retain your console wiring under the console, this is almost never reproduced when people put a console in, but it's a nice touch. Also, the holes that are drilled in the console to allow it to attach to the mounting bracket are slotted as to make it easier to find the mounting bracket; you can't see the bracket once the console's installed, and it'd be a pain trying to find and start a screw in the correct place.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh crap! I knew I forgot a detail! Yes, she's a '65.

Thanks for the great info! The console has been mocked into place for a while now, but it'll get mounted this week!

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Instead of a soldering iron heat the butt end of a drill bit with a propane torch and burn right on through. The carpet will NOT catch fire even if it is red hot. Use the appropriate sized bit. I even used a 1/2" bit for my seat belt holes.

To get the right location put some masking tape near the hole location and put the console where you want it. Mark the hole positions on the tape and burn right through the mark.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
One more thing that bears mentioning: I'd mock the whole thing up with the carpet installed. Don't do like I did and try to install the console on the bare transmission tunnel. I did that once, and the holes I drilled were way off once I got the carpet and underlayment in place. Even though it seems like a negligible distance, the console is going to sit a little higher with the carpet in place, and it can really throw your screw holes off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts