Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the console ( long ) from my '66 coupe to clean and repaint it. Referring to a couple of restoration guides and a '65 shop manual, I'm still confused about the " light" in the forward storage area. There's a circular hole on top with one flat side. In my car, there's also an unused socket / bulb as part of the wiring which was taped under the console. Exploded views in my reference material show what appears to be a lever or switch at the top front behind the door....that's not on mine. How does the light socket attach?
What turns the light on ? Is it triggered by a switch which I may be missing, by the opening of the storage door, or by the light switch? Any info is much appreciated.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Very common problem. Yes, you're missing a part that is not only not reproduced (as far as I know), but is extremely difficult to find in decent shape. There should be a metal strip that is permanently attached to the top of the glove box. This strip extends towards the door, and the light socket plugs into it where it attaches at the hole in the top of the glove box.

One of the door hinge springs should be grounded. Then, when the door opens, it contacts the metal strip. The door itself completes the ciruit to ground from the light, through the metal strip, and to the ground of the hinge spring.

I'll take a pic tonight and show you what I'm talking about.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts