Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Looks like I found a better automatic console for our 68 Convertible but I would like to get repro pieces to make it look better. Mainly we want to get new shift indicator letters and some of the mechanical pieces for it. am I going to have trouble finding 68 paices or will other yrs work?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
You are going to have trouble finding pieces for a 68 console. Almost all the pieces were unique to that year and are not being reproduced. I bought three consoles and additional parts off ebay to put together one nice one. Finding nice pads is very difficult.

Find a shift plate that is not scarred up. Buff the letter surfaces with plastic polish. Fill the letters with white model paint using a fine brush.

The aluminum applique and the "slide" around the shift lever are being produced. That is about the only things. I spent $400 having the pebbled metal insert and ashtray rechromed. I figure I have about $1200 in the console.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are going to have trouble finding pieces for a 68 console. Almost all the pieces were unique to that year and are not being reproduced. I bought three consoles and additional parts off ebay to put together one nice one. Finding nice pads is very difficult.

Find a shift plate that is not scarred up. Buff the letter surfaces with plastic polish. Fill the letters with white model paint using a fine brush.

The aluminum applique and the "slide" around the shift lever are being produced. That is about the only things. I spent $400 having the pebbled metal insert and ashtray rechromed. I figure I have about $1200 in the console.
I was afraid of that, looks like we will piece the 2 we have and take your advice about the polish and the paint--it will be a lot better than the one we have when it's done.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Hi Guys,

Looks like I found a better automatic console for our 68 Convertible but I would like to get repro pieces to make it look better. Mainly we want to get new shift indicator letters and some of the mechanical pieces for it. am I going to have trouble finding 68 paices or will other yrs work?

Thanks!!
make a list of what all you need, I have bits and pieces. But still being Winter in Wis. you may need to wait till it warms up enough for me to hit the garage.
ponies.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
make a list of what all you need, I have bits and pieces. But still being Winter in Wis. you may need to wait till it warms up enough for me to hit the garage.
ponies.
Sounds good, I'll take a good look at what we have over the weekend.

Thanks!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts