Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a full length console in my 65 fastback with the wood trim overlay. I was wondering if anyone know what color was underneath the wood trim. I would like to convert it to black. Can i just peel off the wood trim, or is there a special trick. Anyone have any suggestions...or have they done this before

·
Registered
201 Posts
In what condition is the wood grain and the chrome? Reason I ask is that if it's original and in good condition, you can get a decent amount of money for them and maybe replace yours with some new ones without the wood grain (I'm not saying your costs would be covered with the sell of your origianls- it depends on the quality them).

Anyhow, I think it's just the black paint and adhesive residue. You might want to get the old material (after you've pulled the wood grain) stripped off with paint strip- (obviously) it won't hurt the chrome. And you'll need to repaint the parts if you want the black. I use semi-gloss Black (not semi-flat Black).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i believe its an original..full console with storage unit at the front...the only thing wrong is one part of the wood grain is starting to bubble. what would it be worth if i sold it. And what would a replacement in black cost me?

·
Registered
713 Posts
The metal is not really chrome, but pot metal. It's a really cheap metal, but was original, so is worth a few bucks if kept original. The wood grain can be peeled off to show just the pot metal.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If the wood grain is metal backed it's orignal. If it's just vinyl it's aftermarket. Sound like it might be aftermaket since it's bubbleing. Any way the chrome pieces are the same for the woodgrain and non-woodgrained. It is called camera case and is pebble texture. I took my wood grain off and cleaned up the residue with lacquer thinner. Then painted it with Krylon 1613 semiflat black. the masking was a pain but the results are nice.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Bill's right, it's metal with a 3M adhesive style glue to stick to the console. Without it, the surface should be painted black, 1613 works. I would imagine an original (I think it was part of the pony interior, at least it's that way with mine) would be worth some $$. You can get the aftermarket metal with wood appearance to put on a console for $49.95.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts