Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep my 66 in the garage over the winter. It's not a new battery but every time I go to start the car the battery is dead. Jump starting is becoming a pain every time I want to run the car for a while in the winter. Any ideas on how to keep the battery from constatly discharging?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Do you have the battery disconnected while in storage? There may be a slight draw on the battery and that combined with the cold weather could be the culprit. The battery itself could be going bad and the cold weather is not helping matters any.

Scott

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I have a battery disconnect on mine, and my battery is a couple years old. Never discharges.......

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I used the battery tender on my motorcycles all the time. Just be sure to get one that cycles itself on and off so it is not just a constant trickle charge. I have had both and now only use the switched one. Also, watch the water level as continually charging will cause the water to evaporate. Cost me one battery from not checking water. Another way would be to send me the car and I will drive it all winter for you and keep the battery from running down. SE Az. is nice weather......

·
Registered
122 Posts
battery tender would be a good idea. i always bring my battery inside between starts during the winter.

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
Had a new batt. in a car years ago, car sits in garage for week, batt. dead. Charge it, another week dead. Long and short of it was a BAD voltage reg., it was shorting or staying on all the time, draining the batt. Replace reg.next to radiator, car sat for long time after that and started right up.
Just another possibility.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
check for battery drain by hooking ammeter is series with battery cable and with everything off you should see 0
MAs. if you need procedure PM me - you will need an ammeter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts